Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial order relations, on boolean algebra

1. Sep 14, 2013 #1
    I am a bit confused about a question on proving partial order relation. here is the question and what i done so far.

"define the relation '≤' on a boolean algebra B by
    for all x,yεB x≤y if and only if xVy=y, show that '≤' is a partial order relation"

first of all what exactly does boolean algebra B look like? can you give me an example of a set A that is a boolean algebra???

I have done alot of examples to prove equivalence relation last week and the idea is straight forward and with this one I first tried to prove reflexivity antisymmetry and transitive

reflexivity:
    for any element x that is in B x≤x that is xVx=x???? this part doesnt make sense to me nor do I know what does xVx mean x or x as a set operation 'OR' if so could you guys lead me in a bit

I think once i understand what exactly xVy=y means and how i can manupulate it i think i will be ok to prove antisymmetry transitivity and reflexivity

thanks guys

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted