Understanding Partial Order Relations and Their Definition on X={a,b,c,d,f}

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in understanding and applying the concept of partial order relations. The definition and its application in a given digraph are explored, leading to a better understanding of how to determine comparability between elements in the relation. The conversation also highlights the importance of reflexivity in partial order relations.
Townsend
For some reason I am having a hard time dealing with partial order relations. The definition is what is killing me here. I have a digraph of a partial order relation and yet it does not appear to agree with the definition of partial order. I wish I could draw a picture of the digraph but since that would not work very well I will just do my best to explain it and why I think it is not a partial order.

R is a relation on X={a,b,c,d,f}

Starting from the bottom I have

vertex a which is related to vertex b and vertex c

Then I have vertex b related to vertex d and c related to vertex d

then I have vertex d related to vertex d and vertex f

So correct me if I am wrong but if I were to write out R as a set of ordered pairs I would have

R={(a,b), (a,c), (b,d), (c,d), (d,f), (d,e)}

If that is correct then how can this be a partial order when the definition of partial order says a relation is partial order iff R is reflexive? That relation is not reflexive since (a,a) is not an element of R (the same is true for b,c,d,e,f).

Next problem I have is how to tell if one element is comparable to another. If someone could give me a good intuitive idea of how to tell if two elements of R is comparable I would greatly appericate it.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
it is implicit in the graph that there is a suppressed loop from each point to itself, and that the relation is reflexive, that is a<=a (usually a<a is false...)

an element is comparable (less than) to another if there is a (directed) path in the graph leading from the smaller to the larger. you are just using transitivity.

a<b, and b<d so a<d

a<c and c<d so a<d, good

a<d and d<f so a<f

a<d and d<e so a<e

now do it for b

matt grime said:
it is implicit in the graph that there is a suppressed loop from each point to itself, and that the relation is reflexive, that is a<=a (usually a<a is false...)

an element is comparable (less than) to another if there is a (directed) path in the graph leading from the smaller to the larger. you are just using transitivity.

a<b, and b<d so a<d

a<c and c<d so a<d, good

a<d and d<f so a<f

a<d and d<e so a<e

now do it for b

Well now that certainly makes things much easier to deal with.

b<d and d<f so b<f

b<d and d<e so b<e

I appreciate your help matt grime.

Regards

Last edited:

1. What is a partial order relation?

A partial order relation is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between elements of a set. It is a binary relation that is reflexive, antisymmetric, and transitive. This means that for any elements a, b, and c in a set, a partial order relation will satisfy the following properties: a is related to itself, if a is related to b then b is not related to a, and if a is related to b and b is related to c, then a is also related to c.

2. What is the definition of a partial order relation?

A partial order relation on a set X is a binary relation that satisfies the following three properties: reflexivity, antisymmetry, and transitivity. A relation R on a set X is reflexive if for all elements a in X, (a,a) ∈ R. It is antisymmetric if for all elements a and b in X, (a,b) ∈ R and (b,a) ∈ R implies that a = b. Lastly, it is transitive if for all elements a, b, and c in X, (a,b) ∈ R and (b,c) ∈ R implies that (a,c) ∈ R.

3. How do you represent a partial order relation?

A partial order relation can be represented in various ways, such as using a directed graph, a Hasse diagram, or a table. In a directed graph, the elements of the set are represented as nodes and the relation between them is represented by directed edges. In a Hasse diagram, the elements are arranged in a partial order and the relation is shown by the direction of the edges. A table representation shows the relation between elements in a tabular format, with rows representing the first element and columns representing the second element.

4. What is the purpose of understanding partial order relations?

Understanding partial order relations is important in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and economics. It allows for the comparison of elements in a set and helps in identifying patterns and structures within the set. It also helps in solving problems related to ordering and ranking, optimization, and decision making.

5. What are some examples of partial order relations?

Some common examples of partial order relations include the relation of "less than or equal to" on the set of real numbers, the relation of "subset" on the set of all subsets of a given set, and the relation of "divides" on the set of positive integers. Other examples include the relation of "precedes" on the set of events in a timeline and the relation of "is a subcategory of" on the set of all categories.