What is the Total Pressure in a Cylinder Containing Nitrogen and Oxygen?

In summary, using the ideal gas law and the formula for partial pressure, the total pressure in a evacuated 50L cylinder filled with 5L of nitrogen at 100kPa and 298K and 5L of oxygen at 200kPa at constant temperature is found to be 30kPa. Similarly, when a 10L flask of nitrogen at 500mmHg and a 4L flask of oxygen at 800mmHg are connected and the valve is opened, the final pressure in the system is 586mmHg. These calculations were made using the formulas pV = nRT and PA = (nA/nA+nB) x PT.
ravadongon
Question 1: 5L of nitrogen at 100kPa and 298K and 5L of oxygen at 200kPa are pumped into a evacuated 50L cylinder. Temperature remains constant, what is the total pressure in the cylinder?

Correct Answer: 30kPa
My answer: 300 kPa

Question 2: A 10L flask containing nitrogen at 500mmHg is connected via a closed tap to a 4L flask containing oxygen at 800mmHg pressure, if the tap is opened what will be the final pressure assuming temperature remains constant?

Answer: 586mmHg
My answer: 1300mmHg

Formulas I used:

pV = nRT (to find mols)
PA = (nA/nA+nB) x PT

How did they get these answers...cos I can't seem to get them..?? Any help would be appreciated...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ravadongon said:
Question 1: 5L of nitrogen at 100kPa and 298K and 5L of oxygen at 200kPa are pumped into a evacuated 50L cylinder. Temperature remains constant, what is the total pressure in the cylinder?

Question 2: A 10L flask containing nitrogen at 500mmHg is connected via a closed tap to a 4L flask containing oxygen at 800mmHg pressure, if the tap is opened what will be the final pressure assuming temperature remains constant?

Formulas I used:

pV = nRT (to find mols)
PA = (nA/nA+nB) x PT

How did they get these answers...cos I can't seem to get them..?? Any help would be appreciated...

What are the volumes given in the questions?

Bystander said:
What are the volumes given in the questions?

what do u mean? I gave the volumes... :confused:

ravadongon said:

Formulas I used:

pV = nRT (to find mols)
PA = (nA/nA+nB) x PT

So what is it exactly that you are having a hard time with? Let's go through #2:

[tex]n_A = \frac{P_AV_A}{RT} = \frac{(500 mm Hg)(10 L)}{RT}[/tex]

and for the other flask:

[tex]n_B = \frac{P_BV_B}{RT} = \frac{(800 mm Hg)(4 L)}{RT}[/tex]

so when the valve is opened, the total # of molecules of gas in the system will be:

[tex]n = n_A + n_B[/tex]

so let's use the ideal gas law for the whole system:

[tex]P_{A+B} = \frac{(n_A + n_B)(RT)}{V_{A+B}} = \frac{(500 mm Hg)(10 L) + (800 mm Hg)(4 L)}{RT} \frac{(RT)}{V_{A+B}}{[/tex]

notice that RT drops out completely, and we are left with:

[tex]P_{A+B} = \frac{(500 mm Hg)(10 L) + (800 mm HG)(4 L)}{14 L} = 586 mm Hg[/tex]

go forth and do likewise..

Last edited:

1. What is partial pressure?

Partial pressure is the pressure exerted by an individual gas in a mixture of gases. It is the hypothetical pressure that the gas would exert if it occupied the same volume alone at the same temperature.

2. How do you calculate partial pressure?

To calculate partial pressure, you need to know the mole fraction of the gas in the mixture and the total pressure of the mixture. The partial pressure is then calculated by multiplying the mole fraction by the total pressure.

3. What is Dalton's law of partial pressures?

Dalton's law of partial pressures states that the total pressure of a mixture of gases is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas in the mixture.

4. Why is partial pressure important in gas calculations?

Partial pressure is important in gas calculations because it helps us understand the behavior of gases in mixtures. It allows us to predict how the gases will interact with each other and how they will behave under different conditions.

5. How does temperature affect partial pressure?

According to the ideal gas law, as temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of gas molecules also increases. This leads to an increase in the pressure of the gas, thus increasing the partial pressure of each gas in a mixture.