1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Pressure Calcs.

1. Jun 5, 2005 #1
    Question 1: 5L of nitrogen at 100kPa and 298K and 5L of oxygen at 200kPa are pumped into a evacuated 50L cylinder. Temperature remains constant, what is the total pressure in the cylinder?

Correct Answer: 30kPa
    My answer: 300 kPa

Question 2: A 10L flask containing nitrogen at 500mmHg is connected via a closed tap to a 4L flask containing oxygen at 800mmHg pressure, if the tap is opened what will be the final pressure assuming temperature remains constant?

Answer: 586mmHg
    My answer: 1300mmHg

Formulas I used:

pV = nRT (to find mols)
    PA = (nA/nA+nB) x PT

How did they get these answers...cos I can't seem to get them..?? Any help would be appreciated...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2005 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What are the volumes given in the questions?

4. Jun 5, 2005 #3
    what do u mean? I gave the volumes... :confused:

5. Jun 5, 2005 #4
    So what is it exactly that you are having a hard time with? Let's go through #2:

[tex]n_A = \frac{P_AV_A}{RT} = \frac{(500 mm Hg)(10 L)}{RT}[/tex]

and for the other flask:

[tex]n_B = \frac{P_BV_B}{RT} = \frac{(800 mm Hg)(4 L)}{RT}[/tex]

so when the valve is opened, the total # of molecules of gas in the system will be:

[tex]n = n_A + n_B[/tex]

so lets use the ideal gas law for the whole system:

[tex]P_{A+B} = \frac{(n_A + n_B)(RT)}{V_{A+B}} = \frac{(500 mm Hg)(10 L) + (800 mm Hg)(4 L)}{RT} \frac{(RT)}{V_{A+B}}{[/tex]

notice that RT drops out completely, and we are left with:

[tex]P_{A+B} = \frac{(500 mm Hg)(10 L) + (800 mm HG)(4 L)}{14 L} = 586 mm Hg[/tex]

go forth and do likewise..

Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?