Partial Pressure Quest: 2L Vessel, PCl5 Decomposition @ 250C

In summary, we have an empty vessel with a volume of 2L containing 2.42gr of PCl5 (g). After allowing it to partially decompose at 250 Celsius according to the equation PCl5 --> PCl3 + Cl2, the total pressure inside the vessel is 359 torr. To find the partial pressure of each gas, we calculate that 0.0116 mol of PCl5 was inserted into the vessel and choose x to be the amount of mol of PCl5 that became the two products. This leads to x mol of PCl3, x mol of Cl2, and 0.0116-x mol of PCl5 at the end. However, this may seem
assaftolko
We have an empty vessel with volume of 2L. We put 2.42gr of PCl5 (g) and allowed it to partially decompose at 250 Celsius according to:

PCl5 --> PCl3 + Cl2

the two prodcuts are also gases. The total pressure inside the vessel after this partial decomposment is 359 torr. What is the partial pressure of each gas now?

I calculated that 0.0116 mol of PCl5 were inserted to the vessel, and I choose x to be the amount of molls of PCl5 that became the 2 products, so we have x molls of PCl3, x molls of Cl2 and 0.0116-x molls of PCl5 at the end. But I don't understand - if we add up this amount we get 0.0116+x molls at the end, but we started from 0.0116 molls of material in the first place... I don't understand how this makes sense...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
somebody? please??

assaftolko said:
if we add up this amount we get 0.0116+x molls at the end, but we started from 0.0116 molls of material in the first place... I don't understand how this makes sense...
If 1 mole of PCl5 gets completely decomposed into the two products, what is the total number of moles you get?

2... You got me here also.. Still don't get how this all makes sense

assaftolko said:
2... You got me here also.. Still don't get how this all makes sense

Why doesn't it make sense? :confused:

Because you start from an amount of 1 moll and get 2 molls... But maybe because these 2 molls are not made up each of exactly what made up the original 1 moll its ok..

Number of atoms - doesn't change. Total mass - doesn't change. But total number of moles of substances can change any way you like (doesn't mean it always does!). Think water synthesis from elements - 2 moles made out of 3 moles. Think carbon combustion to CO2 in oxygen - 1 mole made of 2 moles. Write reaction equations, balance them and you will see.

1. What is the partial pressure of PCl5 in a 2L vessel during decomposition at 250C?

The partial pressure of PCl5 in a 2L vessel during decomposition at 250C would depend on the initial concentration of PCl5, the equilibrium constant of the reaction, and the total pressure of the system. It can be calculated using the ideal gas law and the expression for partial pressure in terms of equilibrium constant.

2. How does the partial pressure of PCl5 change over time during the decomposition process?

The partial pressure of PCl5 would decrease over time as it undergoes decomposition. This is because the decomposition reaction consumes PCl5 and produces products, resulting in a decrease in the number of moles of PCl5 and thus a decrease in its partial pressure.

3. How does the temperature affect the partial pressure of PCl5 during decomposition in a 2L vessel?

The temperature has a significant effect on the partial pressure of PCl5 during decomposition in a 2L vessel. An increase in temperature would shift the equilibrium towards the products, resulting in a decrease in the partial pressure of PCl5. Conversely, a decrease in temperature would shift the equilibrium towards the reactants, resulting in an increase in the partial pressure of PCl5.

4. Is the partial pressure of PCl5 the only factor that affects the rate of decomposition in a 2L vessel?

No, the partial pressure of PCl5 is not the only factor that affects the rate of decomposition in a 2L vessel. Other factors such as the initial concentration of PCl5, the presence of a catalyst, and the volume of the vessel can also affect the rate of decomposition.

5. How can the partial pressure of PCl5 be experimentally determined in a 2L vessel during decomposition?

The partial pressure of PCl5 can be experimentally determined in a 2L vessel during decomposition by measuring the total pressure of the system at different time intervals. The decrease in total pressure would correspond to the decrease in the partial pressure of PCl5. Additionally, techniques such as gas chromatography or mass spectrometry can also be used to determine the partial pressure of PCl5 in a gas mixture.