Partial Pressure of Kr in a N2/Kr Mixture (0.505 atm)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of partial pressure in a mixture of N2 and Kr with given masses and total pressure. The solution involves finding the mole fraction of Kr and multiplying it by the total pressure.
parwana
A mixture of 5.40 g of N2 and 10.2 g of Kr exerts a pressure of 0.505 atm.
What is the partial pressure, in atm, of Kr?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
parwana, please show what you've tried, when you need help with a problem.

I just don't get the problem at all, i mean does this mean volume and temperature are constant and if so do i make up any numbers for the temp and volume and substitute in the equation pv=nrt??

pleASE help

i got it, i got the mole fraction of Ke and then times thta by total pressure.

parwana said:
i got it, i got the mole fraction of Ke and then times thta by total pressure.

If you meant "Kr", then yes, that's correct. With any such problem, you want to start from the definitions. In this case, the definition of 'partial pressure' is all you need.

1. What is partial pressure?

Partial pressure is the pressure exerted by an individual gas component in a mixture of gases. It is proportional to the amount of that gas present in the mixture.

2. How is partial pressure calculated?

Partial pressure can be calculated by multiplying the total pressure of the gas mixture by the mole fraction of the gas component in the mixture. In this case, the partial pressure of Kr would be calculated by multiplying the total pressure (0.505 atm) by the mole fraction of Kr (0.505).

3. Why is partial pressure important?

Partial pressure is important because it helps us understand the behavior of gases in mixtures. It is also used to determine the concentration of a specific gas in a mixture and to predict how gases will move in and out of a system.

4. What factors can affect the partial pressure of a gas in a mixture?

The partial pressure of a gas can be affected by changes in temperature, volume, and the amount of the gas present in the mixture.

5. How does the partial pressure of Kr in a N2/Kr mixture compare to the partial pressure of N2?

The partial pressure of Kr in the N2/Kr mixture (0.505 atm) is equal to the total pressure of the gas mixture, while the partial pressure of N2 would be lower since it is present in a smaller amount. In this case, the partial pressure of N2 would be around 0.495 atm.