Partial Pressures: Just a Few Questions

• Thread starter ~angel~
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partial
In summary, the first question involves calculating the partial pressures of each reactant in an equilibrium reaction of ammonia formation at a temperature of 700K. The second question involves finding the total partial pressure inside a container at equilibrium at 250c, given the amount of a salt and the equilibrium constant.
~angel~
Just a few questions I'm having trouble with.

1.Ammonia is formed from nitrogen and hydrogen according to the following equlibrium reaction:

N2(g)+3H2(g)-->2NH3(g)

The plant operates close to 700K, at which Kp is 1.00*10^-4 atm-2 and employs the stoiciometric ratio 1:3 of N2:H2. At equilibrium, the partial pressure of NH3 is 50 atm. Calculate the partial pressures of the each reactant.

2.Ammonium carbamate (NH2COONH4) is a salt of carbamic acid that is found in the blood and urine of mammals. At 250c, Kc=1.58*10^-8 M^3 for the following equilibrium:

NH2COONH4 (s) <---> 2NH3 (g) + CO2 (g)

If 7.81g of NH2COONH4 is introduced into a 0.500L evacuated container, what is the total partial pressure inside the container at equilibrium at 250c?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Kp = (Partial Pressure NH3)^2 / ((PP N2) * (PP H2)^3)

2. Kc = [NH3]^2 * [CO2]

That should get you started.

For 1., I got to [N2]*

^3=2.5*10^7 then I just got lost. I know the ratio is 1:3, but that cubed hydrogen has really put me off.

for ever x atm of N2 there are 3x atm of H2. So (x)(3x)^3=2.5*10^7

So you get 3x^4=2.5*10^7
x= 53.73?

If that's what you meant, apparently it's the wrong answer for N2.

it would be 27x^4=2.5*10^7, you forgot to cube the 3.

lol...thanks for that.

1. What is partial pressure?

Partial pressure is the pressure exerted by a single gas in a mixture of gases. It is the contribution of a specific gas to the total pressure of the mixture.

2. How is partial pressure calculated?

Partial pressure is calculated by multiplying the total pressure of the mixture by the mole fraction of the gas in the mixture. The mole fraction is the ratio of the number of moles of the specific gas to the total number of moles in the mixture.

3. Why is partial pressure important in gas mixtures?

Partial pressure is important because it helps to determine the behavior of each gas in a mixture. It can also be used to calculate the concentration of a specific gas in a mixture.

4. What is Dalton's law of partial pressures?

Dalton's law of partial pressures states that the total pressure exerted by a mixture of gases is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas in the mixture.

5. How does temperature affect partial pressure?

According to the ideal gas law, as temperature increases, the volume of a gas increases, which in turn leads to an increase in the partial pressure of that gas. This is because the number of collisions between gas molecules and the walls of the container increases with higher temperature, resulting in a higher pressure.