Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Reflection

1. May 27, 2006 #1
    Was recently re-reading QED and wondered whether there was any "simple" explination of partial reflection? How does the thickness of glass affect reflection if it's a particle?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2006 #2
    Actually, nobody knows the answer to this one. For a basic exposition, I would highly recommend that you read "QED-The Strange theory of light and Matter by R.P Feynman".

The stuff you learn about matching up boundary conditions to retrace the path of the reflected and refracted rays (Classical Electrodynamics approach) does not answer the question why? It gives the answer, but not at the fundamental level.
  4. May 27, 2006 #3
    Yeh, I've read QED, very good treatment, not enough math for me to really understand things. Odd that a problem that is so simple to demonstrate, and known about since Newton's time, has yet to be solved. Maybe it's Fermats last theorem for physicists?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?