1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial RL Circuit Help.

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A current pulse is fed to the partial circuit shown in Figure P32.25. The current begins at zero, then becomes Imax = 7.0 A between t = 0 and t = 200 µs, and then is zero once again. Determine the current in the inductor as a function of time. Let L = 1.0 mH and R = 100 . (Use t as appropriate.)

Figure

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I need to use Kirchhoff's rules for this. I am not quite sure how to go about setting this up...I know I will have:

Emf - IR - L(dI/dt) = 0

Since there is no Emf this becomes:
    L(dI/dt) = - IR

I am not sure where to go from here. I have the correct answer for [tex]0\leq[/tex] [tex]t[/tex] [tex]\leq200\mu s[/tex] being:

[tex]I(t) = 7(1 - e^{-100000t}) [/tex]

I also am not sure how to proceed with finding the current for t > 200 microseconds.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2
    I know that Iresistor must be:

Iresistor (I2) = Iinitial(I1) - Iinductor(I3).

However, whenever I use that I can't ever seem to get the actually statement they are getting for Iinductor. I get this DE:

L(dI3/dt) = -I2*R.

When I solve that I get:

I3 = I1 + e^(-Rt/L)

That expression doesn't seem right, and is not right.

4. Nov 5, 2008 #3
    This is the DE you need. The boundary condition is just continuity with the earlier function you found.

5. Nov 5, 2008 #4
    I am not sure I follow what you mean about the earlier function. Are you talking about Kirchhoffs rule with the Emf in it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?