Partial Sum and Series Value

In summary: The sum of the series, ##S_n##, is the sum of terms up through index n. You can find it by summing the terms up to and including n and then dividing by n.
agnimusayoti
Homework Statement
ML Boas gave an example to find ##S_n##; ##S##, and ##R_n## of a series that follow this rule:
$$\sum^{\infty}_{2} \frac {2}{n^2-1}$$.
He show that I have to change the formula of the rule before determine ##S_n##; ##S##, and ##R_n##
Relevant Equations
I can catch up the following explanation. But I still don't understand why he choose to change the form rather than use the initial formula.
1. Is it because the initial formula start the series from ##n = 2##?
2. If the initial formula is used, can I find ##S##, which $$S=\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{2}{n^2-1}=\frac{2}{\infty}=0$$? Why that answer is different if the formula is changed.

Physics news on Phys.org
The limit you have done does not represent the sum.
$$S=\sum^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac {2}{n^2-1}=\sum^{\infty}_{n=2} u_n$$
##u_n## is a sequence! ##S## is the sum of all terms of the sequence, from ##k=2## to "##\infty##".
To further illustrate why that can't be a sum; notice that, for any given ##n##, we have ##u_n>0##. Do you think that you can sum strictly positive numbers and get ##0##?

Likes WWGD
OH! I see. The sequence is getting smaller, but still bigger than 0. So, the limit is wrong. Then, what does the limit represent? Uhm, I have another question, If I want to change the initial series from ##n_i=2## become ##n_i=1## what should I do? Because the book just show that the denumerator is added by 1. I can remember that rule, but don't understand the idea behind the process. Thanks.

agnimusayoti said:
OH! I see. The sequence is getting smaller, but still bigger than 0. So, the limit is wrong. Then, what does the limit represent?
The limit is not wrong, but what you thought it represents is what's wrong. The limit you have computed is that of the sequence, just not that of the sum of the terms of the sequence.
The sum is given by this expression:
$$\sum_{n=2}^Ku_n=u_2+u_3+u_4+u_5+...+u_{K-2}+u_{K-1}+u_{K}$$
If you make ##K\to\infty##, then you'd be summing up infinitely many terms of ##u_n##.
The limit you computed is this:
$$\lim_{n\to\infty}u_n=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{2}{n^2-1}=0$$
It just tells you that as ##n## grows bigger, the term ##u_n## is getting closer and closer to ##0##. It's similar to the limit of a function, think of it like ##u_n=f(n)##. When I tell you that ##\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac 1x=0##, you don't say the sum of all ##f(x)##s is ##0##, it's just that as you plug in bigger and bigger ##x##s, the function approaches ##0## more and more.
agnimusayoti said:
Uhm, I have another question, If I want to change the initial series from ##n_i=2## become ##n_i=1## what should I do? Because the book just show that the denumerator is added by ##1##. I can remember that rule, but don't understand the idea behind the process. Thanks.
If you imagine ##n'=n-1##, then you see that for ##n=2## we get ##n'=1##, and as ##n\to\infty## both are the same. We also have that ##n=n'+1##.
$$S=\sum^{\infty}_{n=2}\frac {2}{n^2-1}=\sum^{\infty}_{n'=1}\frac {2}{(n'+1)^2-1}$$

Likes WWGD
Thanks again. Your explanation is so clear.
1. I become understand that my work (take limit as n approaching ##\infty## to sigma notation) do not find ##S##. This is because if I take limit to formula inside the sigma notation, actually I try to find ##U_n## as ##n\to\infty##. So, I haven't understand clearly that
$$S=\lim_{n\to\infty} S_n$$ need the formula for summation from ##n_i## to ##n_f##. This formula is gotten by expanding the series and try to find the ##S_n## formula.
2. Relation between n' and n. I have to substitute n in it's relation with n', which the newest initial limit for the series. I don't see that I have to "think backward", from n' to n. (Umm, it's difficult to explain what I mean about "think backward". Anyway, now I understand.

Thank you very much!

Likes WWGD and archaic
agnimusayoti said:
Thank you very much!
Glad I could help!

agnimusayoti said:
Homework Statement:: ML Boas gave an example to find ##S_n##; ##S##, and ##R_n## of a series that follow this rule:
$$\sum^{\infty}_{2} \frac {2}{n^2-1}$$.
He show that I have to change the formula of the rule before determine ##S_n##; ##S##, and ##R_n##
Relevant Equations:: I can catch up the following explanation. But I still don't understand why he choose to change the form rather than use the initial formula.

1. Is it because the initial formula start the series from ##n = 2##?
2. If the initial formula is used, can I find ##S##, which $$S=\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{2}{n^2-1}=\frac{2}{\infty}=0$$?
You can't substitute ##\infty## in any arithmetic expression.
agnimusayoti said:
Why that answer is different if the formula is changed.
The expressions ##S_n##, ##S##, and ##R_n## represent, respectively, the sequence of partial sums, the sum of the series, and the remainder ##R_n = S - S_n##.
The sequence of partial sums, ##S_n##, is the sum of terms up through index n. IOW, ##S_n = \sum_{k=2}^n \frac 2 {k^2 - 1}##. The remainder, ##R_n## is the difference between the sum of the series and ##S_n##.
I've read through the responses in this thread, but I didn't see anywhere that you had actually found the sum of the series. The key to this problem is to use the technique of partial fractions to decompose ##\frac 2 {n^2 - 1}## into two simpler fractions. After you do that, the resulting series is a telescoping series whose sum can be found fairly easily.

agnimusayoti said:
ML Boas gave an example...
agnimusayoti said:
He show that..
M. L. Boas is Mary L. Boas, a woman to the best of my knowledge.

Mark44 said:
You can't substitute ##\infty## in any arithmetic expression.
The expressions ##S_n##, ##S##, and ##R_n## represent, respectively, the sequence of partial sums, the sum of the series, and the remainder ##R_n = S - S_n##.
The sequence of partial sums, ##S_n##, is the sum of terms up through index n. IOW, ##S_n = \sum_{k=2}^n \frac 2 {k^2 - 1}##. The remainder, ##R_n## is the difference between the sum of the series and ##S_n##.
I've read through the responses in this thread, but I didn't see anywhere that you had actually found the sum of the series. The key to this problem is to use the technique of partial fractions to decompose ##\frac 2 {n^2 - 1}## into two simpler fractions. After you do that, the resulting series is a telescoping series whose sum can be found fairly easily.
Yeah, I see. i can decompose the fraction then determine S, Sn and Rn. Thanks!

Mark44 said:
M. L. Boas is Mary L. Boas, a woman to the best of my knowledge.
Oh my goodness, what a funny mistake. I thought M.L. Boas is a male. Hehe. I agree that she can Made Mathematical for Physics easier than another book.

1. What is a partial sum?

A partial sum is the sum of a finite number of terms in a series. It is used to approximate the value of an infinite series by adding up a certain number of terms.

2. How is the value of a series determined?

The value of a series is determined by finding the limit of its partial sums. If the limit exists, then it is the value of the series. If the limit does not exist, then the series is said to be divergent.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is one whose partial sums approach a finite limit as more terms are added. In contrast, a divergent series is one whose partial sums do not approach a finite limit, and therefore has no value.

4. How is the convergence of a series determined?

The convergence of a series is determined by its behavior as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit of the partial sums exists and is finite, then the series is convergent. If the limit does not exist, then the series is divergent.

5. Can a series have different values depending on the number of terms used in the partial sum?

Yes, a series can have different values depending on the number of terms used in the partial sum. This is because the value of a series is determined by the limit of its partial sums, and as more terms are added, the partial sums may approach a different limit or may not approach a limit at all.