Study Quantum Mechanical Scattering Before Autumn

In summary, there are several online resources available for studying spherical and cylindrical problems for quantum mechanical scattering. These include lecture notes from MIT, videos and practice problems from Khan Academy, and an entry in the Encyclopedia of Mathematics. These resources cover topics such as partial wave analysis, Born approximation, Bessel functions, Legendre polynomials, and spherical harmonics.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi!

I need material to study before autum on spherical- and cylidrical problems for quantum mechanical scattering.. otherwise i will probably not get a good grade on that course due to other courses I MUST take next semster..

So if you know any good web-material for this, with theory and maybe some worked out examples and so on.

I have ordered a book from the states (haberman - applied diff eq, I live in sweden). but it seems to have been lost :S And the copy at the library have been stole hehe..

So need some tutorials for this, partial waves, Born approximation etc, Bessel functions, Legendre polynomials and spherical harmonics.

If you have, or know any material or want to help me search for it, I would be very very greatful to you!

/GW

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a few great resources online for studying quantum mechanical scattering. For a start, you could look at the lecture notes from MIT's Physics 8.04 Quantum Physics I course available for free online. The lectures cover topics such as partial wave analysis and Born approximation, which you'll need for your studies. You can find the lecture notes here: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2013/lecture-notes/ Another great resource is the Khan Academy. They have a series of videos and practice problems on quantum mechanics and scattering. You can find their videos on quantum mechanics here: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/quantum-physics Finally, there is the Encyclopedia of Mathematics, which is an online encyclopedia of mathematics which contains articles related to spherical and cylindrical problems for quantum mechanical scattering. You can find the entry on this topic here: http://www.encyclopediaofmath.org/i...al_problems_for_quantum_mechanical_scattering I hope these resources help you on your studies! Good luck!

Hi GW!

It sounds like you are taking a challenging course on quantum mechanical scattering. It's great that you are being proactive and looking for additional resources to help you succeed. I suggest starting with some online tutorials or lecture notes from reputable universities. Some good ones to check out might include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, or Coursera. You can also try searching for specific topics like "quantum mechanical scattering" or "spherical harmonics" on YouTube - there are often helpful videos and lectures available there as well.

In addition to online resources, you may also want to reach out to your professor or classmates for additional help and study materials. They may have some useful resources or be able to provide guidance on what topics to focus on for the upcoming exam.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies and I hope you are able to find the materials you need to succeed in your course. Keep up the hard work and determination!

1. What is quantum mechanical scattering?

Quantum mechanical scattering is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where particles interact with each other or with a potential field, resulting in a change in their direction or energy.

2. Why is it important to study quantum mechanical scattering?

Studying quantum mechanical scattering is crucial for a better understanding of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It has practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics, materials science, and quantum computing.

3. What are some common techniques used to study quantum mechanical scattering?

Some common techniques used to study quantum mechanical scattering include scattering experiments, quantum simulations, and analytical calculations using mathematical models and equations.

4. How does quantum mechanical scattering differ from classical scattering?

Quantum mechanical scattering takes into account the wave-like nature of particles, while classical scattering assumes particles behave like classical particles with definite positions and velocities. Additionally, quantum mechanical scattering can result in non-deterministic outcomes, while classical scattering is deterministic.

5. What are some current research topics in quantum mechanical scattering?

Current research topics in quantum mechanical scattering include the study of scattering in multi-particle systems, the effects of entanglement on scattering processes, and the use of machine learning techniques to analyze scattering data.