1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partially solube compunds

1. Sep 17, 2009 #1
    Do you break up a partially soluble compound into ions in a net ionic equation? or do you just leave it as a molecule?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Not sure if I know what you mean by partial solubility.

--
    methods

4. Sep 17, 2009 #3
    in the solubility rules it says that Pb(C2H3O2)2 is partially soluble in water.

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

OK, for me that means weakly soluble - don't worry about that, English is my second language (or third, to be precise :wink: ).

Net ionic equation is identical, just the equilirbium lies on the left - that is, not everything dissolves.

--

6. Sep 18, 2009 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Solubility doesn't say anything about ionization. Something weakly (sparingly, slightly, partially) soluble can also be weakly (sparingly, slightly, partially) ionized.

7. Sep 22, 2009 #6
    solubility of ionic compounds is in fact breaking the compounds up into their individual ions, but like borek said, the equilibrium lies on the left, which you can represent with an arrow that looks like this http://www.coolschool.ca/lor/CH12/common_files/equilibrium_arrow.gif [Broken] and just have the part pointing left be longer than the part pointing right

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook