Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Participation rate in Iraq vote

What will be the participation rate ?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2005.
  1. 0-25%

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 25-50%

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 50-75%

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 75-100%

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Jan 28, 2005 #1

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's your guess ? What will be the participation rate in the voting in Iraq ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jan 28, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would be wonderful if they pulled this off and made some kind of point, but I'm afraid this will be just another in a long line of disasters at the expense of innocent people. The Bush team never lets me down, unfortunately.

5. Jan 28, 2005 #4
    >25%.

This whole thing stinks! :grumpy:

Worse than that will be how Jr. will run around and take credit for 'spreading democracy'! :yuck:

Who's ready to invade Iran??? :devil:

6. Jan 28, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Arabs say Iraq vote gives democracy a bad name

http://www.reuters.co.in/locales/c_newsArticle.jsp?type=worldNews&localeKey=en_IN&storyID=7468079

7. Jan 29, 2005 #6
    Why am I not surprised by the article Ivan?
    :bugeye:

I bet the run for Iran will be a lot like Iraq but half hearted and a lot of 'yadda, yadda, yadda, all right, let's invade! Guuhhoo Umerhica!'. The worse part is it will be worse plus a strong possibility of drawing other international players openly into the opposition of such actions. Canada or any other country may look like a great destination within a year or so. I just hope I'm wrong about that! :uhh:

8. Jan 29, 2005 #7

kat

This is one of the highest rates of voting by a dispora...ever. Not sure what your beef is. :yuck:

9. Jan 29, 2005 #8

plover

Homework Helper

Poll results from Iraq. (Zogby via Juan Cole)
    (More results at the link)

Dahr Jamail's reports from Baghdad: 1/27, 1/28

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  10. Jan 29, 2005 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Approx. 40%

11. Jan 29, 2005 #10
    Look like the majority of forum either go for 0-25% or 50-75%. Let's see if we are correct; this kind of polling reminds me of the US presidential election not too long ago

12. Jan 29, 2005 #11
    I think less than 25% is kinda naive, the Shiites are about 60% of the Iraqi population, and they've been opressed for like a hundred years. There's no way they're not going to want to get out and make sure as many of their favorite people as possible are in the government.

13. Jan 29, 2005 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I picked 25 - 50%.

14. Jan 29, 2005 #13

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

33% .... the distribution is starting to look bad if the polling is to believed.

15. Jan 29, 2005 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah ! The large fraction of the Sunnis not going to the polls looks like trouble to me ! :uhh:

16. Jan 29, 2005 #15
    I just saw on CNN that abour 14 million Iraqi's are registered to vote. Iraq's population is 26 million. So I'm guessing that voting 50-75% was a bit naive of me too, looks like it's gonna be 25-50.

God, I can't believe myself, I actually picked up some of the Bush administrations optimism about the turnout, those damned right-wing pundits assuring all the "pessimistic liberals" that the turnout would be comprable to, maybe even greater than the Palestinian elections. Gotta remember that nothing they say is ever true...

17. Jan 29, 2005 #16

kat

erm, I think your numbers are a little off....
    I think Iraq population is about 26 million but only a little more then 14 million are of the age to vote...could be wrong..but you might want to check that again. :wink:

18. Jan 29, 2005 #17

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where's the 125% (made by <50% of the population) option?

19. Jan 30, 2005 #18

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: connecting the dots isn't that much of an exertion. Uneven turnout isn't helping, and if (or more like apparently when) the elections fail to turn the tide what then.

20. Jan 30, 2005 #19
    about 40% will try, about 35% will make it.
    and that's the up-side, i'd sooner say much lower than any higher.

21. Jan 30, 2005 #20

plover

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?