1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle acceleration

1. Feb 2, 2006 #1
    How do I go about this? I finished it but I think its off a bit. I think it has to do with the extra constant that comes out of integration that I didn't take into account.

Problem: The position of a particle at times t=10 sec and t=5 sec are known to be, respectively,
    [tex]\vec{r}(10) = 10\vec{i}+5\vec{j}-10\vec{k}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{r} (5) = 3\vec{i}+2\vec{j}+5\vec{k}[/tex]
    What is the acceleration of the particle at time t=5 sec if the velocity vector has the form
    [tex]\vec{v}=C_1\vec{i}+C_2 t^2\vec{j}+C_3\ln{t}\vec{k}[/tex]
    where C_1, C_2, and C_3 are constants and t is time in seconds?

What I did:
    integrated v(t) to get r(t), [itex]\vec{r}(t)=C_1 t\vec{i}+\frac{1}{3}C_2 t^3\vec{j}+C_3(t\ln{t}-t)\vec{k}[/itex] then integrated once more to get a(t)= [itex]2C_2 t\vec{j} +\frac{C_3}{t}\vec{k}[/itex]
    I then substituted the initial equation for r(5) into the equation for r(t) to find the constants C_1, C_2, C_3, and then using these constants, found the acceleration for t=5 to be [itex].48\vec{j}+.33\vec{k}[/itex]
    The values I got for the constants were .6 for C_1, 6/125 for C_2, and 1/(ln(1)-1) for C_3.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2006 #2

lightgrav

Homework Helper

You NEED to include a constant term for each coordinate.

x(10 sec) = 10 , not 6 as your formula suggests.

You have 2 equations for each coordinate, you can solve for 2 unknowns.

4. Feb 3, 2006 #3
    I think that's probably the problem. If you take the values you obtained for r(5) and plug them in for r(10) [or vice versa], I think you'll find it's incorrect.

As you're solving it, for each if i j and k you should have 2 equations and 2 unknowns.

Adding the integration constant to your expression, we have:
    [tex]\vec{r}(t)=\left(C_1 t + k_1\right)\hat{i}+\left(\frac{1}{3}C_2 t^3 + k_2\right)\hat{j}+\left(C_3(t\ln{t}-t) + k_3\right)\hat{k}[/tex]

Now solve for each of the i,j,k components using the initial values provided. Example for the x-component:
    [tex]t=10: C_1*10 + k_1 = 10[/tex]
    [tex]t=5: C_1*5 + k_1 = 3[/tex]

We have 2 equations and 2 unknowns. Solve for C_1 and k_1, plug it back into the expression you got by integrating, and we'll end up with an x-component of the form at+b

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?