1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle along a spiral

1. Sep 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle moves outward along a spiral. Its trajectory is given by r=Aθ, where A is a constant. A=1/π m/rad. θ increases in time according to θ=αt^2/2, where α is a constant.
    Show that the radial acceleration is zero when θ=1/√2 rad. At what angles do the radial and tangential accelerations have equal magnitude?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt} = \dot r\hat{\mathbf{r}} + r\dot\theta\hat{\boldsymbol\theta}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d^2\mathbf{r}}{dt^2} = (\ddot r - r\dot\theta^2)\hat{\mathbf{r}} + (r\ddot\theta + 2\dot r \dot\theta)\hat{\boldsymbol\theta}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried plugging things into the second equation. However, I don't know what t and α are, which is why I am stuck. I also tried substitution, but that didn't really get me anywhere either.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

What are the values of a and A?

4. Sep 8, 2007 #3
    a is supposed to be alpha, an unknown constant. A is equal to 1/(pi) m/rad.

5. Sep 9, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

The angular acceleration is: [tex]\frac{d^2R}{dt^2} - R(\frac{d\theta}{dt})^2[/tex]. substitute your values for R and [tex]\theta[/tex] into this equation and simplify as much as you can.

Finally substitute in the value for theta 1/sqrt(2).

6. Sep 9, 2007 #5
    Is angular acceleration the same as radial acceleration? Also, what is the equation for tangential acceleration? I just changed my original comment. The relevant equations are

[tex]\frac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt} = \dot r\hat{\mathbf{r}} + r\dot\theta\hat{\boldsymbol\theta}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d^2\mathbf{r}}{dt^2} = (\ddot r - r\dot\theta^2)\hat{\mathbf{r}} + (r\ddot\theta + 2\dot r \dot\theta)\hat{\boldsymbol\theta}[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  7. Sep 9, 2007 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Oops, I meant to write radial acceleration... yeah, that formula I posted is radial acceleration.

tangential acceleration is: 2*dr/dt*w+r*d(w)/dt, where w = dtheta/dt... I looked this up here: http://aemes.mae.ufl.edu/~uhk/DYNAMICS.html because I couldn't remember it.

8. Sep 9, 2007 #7
    What is this part of the equation: [tex]\((r\ddot\theta + 2\dot r \dot\theta)\hat{\boldsymbol\theta}[/tex]?

9. Sep 9, 2007 #8

learningphysics

Homework Helper

That's tangential acceleration.

This is radial acceleration:
    [tex](\ddot r - r\dot\theta^2)\hat{\mathbf{r}}[/tex]

10. Sep 9, 2007 #9
    Thanks for the help. I think I figured it out.

11. Sep 9, 2007 #10

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Cool. no prob.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?