Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle/Anti-Particle question

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    Can a particle say an electron, be entangled with its antt-particle partner, a positron?
    So could this happen for any particle antiparticle pair? I know that entanglement is often talked abut pertaining to photons, so could a photon and anti-photon be entangled?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no distinction between photons and antiphotons, i.e. they are they same.
  4. Sep 19, 2005 #3
    Yes, you certainly can entangle a particle/anti-particle pair. I don't know if this has ever been done with electrons (and, as mathman said, it's not a relevant question for photons), but take a look at the description of the BaBar and Belle experiments. Their measurements depend on entangling pairs of [tex]B^0/ \bar B^0[/tex] mesons. It's a very cool example of something that was once a novel result (EPR correlations, i.e. enganglement) becoming a tool for measureing something else (in this case, CP violation).
  5. Sep 19, 2005 #4
    How do you keep the partical/antiparticle from annihilating before entanglement? How could they be entangled after annihlation, the annihilation products could be different for each partical?
  6. Sep 19, 2005 #5
    Thanks for the information, the reason for me asking in the first place was similar to the last poster's question about anihilation. If the entangled pair were to anihilate after entanglement would anything be different from a normal anihilation?
    Sorry about my spelling
  7. Sep 19, 2005 #6
    Nothing prevents them from annihilating. In fact, the way you entangle them in the first place is by producing them in pairs from collisions or decays of other particles (sort of reverse annihilation), and they then fly apart. If you like, that's what keeping them from annihilating, the fact that they are produced with high velocities travelling in opposite directions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?