Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Particle & apparatus outputs

  1. Aug 10, 2016 #1
    Please give me any experimental setup or measurement apparatus already available that can output by amplifying the result of a given instance when a single electron has spin up or down... and changing between the two spins which can change the outputs... or any other observable of a single particle. Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2016 #2
    i think one should go to an experiment designed on the lines of spins of the particle affected by magnetic field and can just separate the two types of electrons.....and its Stern-Gerlach experiment conducted historically but still being used as a demonstration experiment...

    <In 1922, two German physicists in Frankfurt, Otto Stern and Walter Gerlach,

    were attempting to demonstrate the prediction made by Arnold Sommerfeld

    and Paul Ehrenfest in 1913 that projection of orbital angular momentum

    along a particular measurement axis should be quantized. However, it was

    not immediately clear that their results actually showed the existence of

    electron spin and its quantization.>

    one can visit the following for a detail discussion...
    <https://users.physics.ox.ac.uk/~smithb/website/coursenotes/qi/QILectureNotes4.pdf> [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  4. Aug 11, 2016 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Look up some information about electron (Paul) traps. Or, any number of experiments on e.g. quantum dots or NV centres.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted