When is a Particle at Rest in a Motion Problem?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a particle in motion and determining when it is at rest. The given answer shows that when velocity is equal to 0, the expression reduces to sin(πt/4) = 0, which can be simplified to t = 0, 4, 8 seconds. The person in the conversation is seeking an explanation for how 0 becomes πn and what mathematical concepts they need to review in order to understand the problem. They mention that the problem statement involves a particle moving according to a law of motion and have some sub-questions about velocity, acceleration, and graphs. They found the answer to this question by reviewing the unit circle and the graph of sin.
Sage Hopkins
(1.)

I have a "particle in motion" problem that is asking me when a particle is at rest, which I understand to be when velocity = v(t) = 0, so

v(t) = - (π/4) sin (πt/4) = 0.

The given answer is as follows:

- (π/4) sin (πt/4) = 0

sin (πt/4) = 0

πt/4 = πn.

t = 0,4,8 seconds.

(2.) Can someone please explain to me how 0 becomes πn, and/or what specific mathematical concept(s) I need to review?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the full problem statement?

Of course [itex]\sin(n \pi)=0[/itex] for all [itex]n \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex].

The full problem statement goes:

A particle moves according to a law of motion s = cos(πt/4), t >= 0, where t is measured in seconds and s in feet.

There are several sub-questions from here about velocity, acceleration, graphs, etc.., but the one that I got stuck on is

(c.) When is the particle at rest for t <= 10.

After differentiating the given function for f', understanding the answer to this question was as simple as reviewing the unit circle and the graph of sin for me, as elementary as it may be.

Thank you for your time!

1. What is a particle at rest?

A particle at rest refers to an object or particle that is not in motion, meaning its velocity is zero. It has no movement in any direction and is considered to be at a fixed position.

2. How is the velocity of a particle at rest defined?

The velocity of a particle at rest is defined as 0 m/s. This means that the particle does not have any speed or direction of movement.

3. Can a particle be at rest and still have a non-zero acceleration?

Yes, a particle can be at rest and still have a non-zero acceleration. This means that while the particle is not moving, it is experiencing a change in its velocity over time.

4. How is a particle at rest different from a stationary object?

A particle at rest and a stationary object both refer to objects that are not in motion. However, a particle at rest is typically used in physics to describe an object on a microscopic level, while a stationary object is often used in everyday language to describe larger objects such as buildings or trees.

5. What is the significance of studying particles at rest?

Studying particles at rest is important in understanding the fundamental principles of physics. It allows us to analyze the behavior and properties of particles in their most basic state, which can then be applied to more complex systems. Additionally, studying particles at rest is crucial in fields such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.