Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle beam cutter

1. Aug 19, 2015 #1
    How would one go about making a particle beam cutter? I'm thinking like a powerful laser type cutter.
    Please no mechanical engineers, I want a purely physics point of view.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Build a powerful accelerator, use it (probably with a plasma window as exit). Beam current is more important than energy and particle type.
    But where is the point?

4. Aug 19, 2015 #3
    Any research I could look at or any links that you may be able to provide that can point me in the correct direction?

5. Aug 19, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Why use a particle beam cutter instead of the laser cutter? You get lots more cutting for much less money with the laser option (as opposed to a giant particle accelerator).

There is also a big safety issue with a charged particle beam cutter -- can you figure out what that may be?

6. Aug 19, 2015 #5
    You could make something like this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focused_ion_beam
    This is a particle beam cutter. It cuts, it uses a particle beam.

Of course, could is more like "could" if you are talking about do it yourself.:)

7. Aug 19, 2015 #6
    The big problem seems to me that breaking radiation would mess up the cut, at least for high energy beams. Still, for the right materials (ones that don't harbor residual radiation) it should work. (A plasma cutter is an example of a low energy beam.) Water is a good substance.

Ice statue made with a particle beam anyone? A great centerpiece at your next party. :oldcool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook