Particle box model what am i missing?

In summary, the particle in a box model can be used to estimate ground state energies, and the equation for the minimum possible energy (ground state) is E=(h^2)/(8mL^2). To find the ground state energy of a neutron confined to a one-dimensional box of length 1x10^-14m, you need to convert the units of h to eV⋅s and then plug in the values to get the answer of 2.07 MeV.
phys-lexic
1. The particle in a box model is often used to make rough estimates of ground state energies. Suppose that you have a neutron confined to a one-dimensional box of length equal say 1x10-14m. What is the ground state energy of the confined neutron? **the answer it wants is in MeV***

2. equation for the minimum possible energy (ground state; n=1)... E=(h2)/(8mL2)
>h=6.63e-34 Js
>I use 1x10-14m as L (is that right)

3. i should be able to just plug in the values and get the answer, but it does not work. after plugging my values in (using 1x10-14m as L) i get 3.29e-13, which doesn't work. then i tried converting it to MeV by dividing by 1.6e-19 (convert J to eV) then dividing again by 106 (converts to Mega) which gives me 2.1, but that doesn't work either... what am i missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer you are looking for is 2.07 MeV. To get this, you need to convert the units of h (which is in J⋅s) to eV⋅s by multiplying it by 1.6e-19 J/eV, and then multiply by 106 eV/MeV to convert to MeV. After doing this, you can plug in the values into the equation for the ground state energy and get the answer of 2.07 MeV.

It seems like you are missing the conversion factor for converting eV to MeV. When you divide by 1.6e-19, you are converting J to eV, but to convert eV to MeV, you need to divide by 1e6 (not 106). So the final conversion should be dividing by 1.6e-13. This will give you the correct answer in MeV. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct value for the mass of a neutron (1.674e-27 kg) in the equation.

1. What is a particle box model?

A particle box model is a simplified representation of a physical system where particles are confined to a defined space and interact with each other according to certain rules or laws. It is often used in the field of molecular dynamics to study the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

2. How does a particle box model work?

In a particle box model, particles are usually represented as points or spheres and their movements are simulated using mathematical equations. The particles interact with each other by colliding and exchanging energy, and their positions and velocities are updated over time to reflect these interactions.

3. What are the applications of a particle box model?

A particle box model can be used in various scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and materials science, to simulate and study the behavior of particles in different environments. It can also be used to understand and predict the properties of materials and chemical reactions.

4. What are the limitations of a particle box model?

While a particle box model can provide valuable insights into the behavior of particles, it is a simplified representation of a real physical system and may not accurately reflect all aspects of the system. Additionally, the accuracy of the model depends on the assumptions and parameters used in the simulation.

5. What are some examples of particle box models in use?

Particle box models are commonly used in molecular dynamics simulations to study the behavior of atoms and molecules. They are also used in astrophysics to model the movement of particles in space, and in materials science to understand the properties and behavior of different materials.