Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle charge question

1. May 23, 2004 #1
    Fundamental particles, electron and quarks; have charges in single units or thirds of a single unit.
    Am I correct in believing that these are imaginary numbers and that there is no experimental proof that a 1/3 quark charge is actually 1/3 of the charge of an electron.

I ask this question because my books state that quarks were given there charge originally to fit in with the theory of sub-atomic particles, and this seems to have been accepted because it is not possible to conduct experiments to show the true relationship.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2004 #2

Janitor

Science Advisor

Last edited: May 23, 2004
  4. May 24, 2004 #3
    Thanks Janitor, clearly Iwas mistaken.

5. May 24, 2004 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Given the makeup of protons (2 up + 1 down) and neutrons (1 up and 2 down), their charges wouldn't work unless the charges were exactly 2/3 (up) and -1/3 (down). It is a simple linear algebra problem (2 eq. in 2 unknown).

6. May 26, 2004 #5
    It is a simple linear algebra problem (2 eq. in 2 unknown).

Accept that you are correct and thanks for your reply.
    My interest lies in doing what neither the Standard Model or string theory can do, that is to explain the underlying cause; that debate has to be conducted in the madhouse (Theory Developement forum).
    I am entering a new subject in that forum that I hope you will visit because it refers to a new (mathematical) way of listing quarks that is totally different from current practice in that it links mass and charge together.

Now I have the required answer, I will close this forum with thanks to those who replied, regards, elas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?