Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Data Book, as a BOOK

1. Jul 2, 2006 #1

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Can any of you pros tell me how to obtain the shirt-pocket, dead-tree version of the Particle Data Book? All my searches result in a wealth of references to the PDG site, where I find things "I can download". I don't want to download; I want to buy the handy book!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2006 #2

Kea

Why, selfAdjoint?

:smile:

4. Jul 3, 2006 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What, do I have to give a reason before you'll tell me how to buy it?:surprised: It's a govenment publication isn't it? Is this the Bush adminitration in action?:devil:

Actually I want to keep it by me and when I have a thought or a question occurs to me I want to be able to look it up without the extra business of going on line. If I am sitting somewhere boring waiting for someone no need to yawn, just whip out my PDB and learn something I didn't know.

And no, I have no desire to paricipate in the "Where has your PDB been" video game, although that is how I came to learn of it. I don't even have equipment to make videos.

5. Jul 3, 2006 #4
    From the website
    Ordering Information for PDG
    So, it looks like the booklet is not available currently. But previously, you could order and they would send it when it became available. Good luck.
    Cheers,
    Ryan

6. Jul 3, 2006 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Thanks for the link. I'll keep monitoring it; I've heard they're bringing out a new edition.

Added in edit:
    Actually I went to the site and was able to sign up to their mailing list and select the product I wanted (the "Particle data booklet/2006") which just as you said they will send me when it becomes availlable. So thanks again, you have solved my problem!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  7. Jul 3, 2006 #6
    Hey, no problem. Us wisconsin folks gotta take care of each other! :tongue2:

Once you sign up for the things you want, they will keep you on their list and you will get updates each year when they update thier publications. Which is always a very pleasant suprise in the mail :biggrin: .

Cheers,
    Ryan

8. Jul 3, 2006 #7

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So "East Coast" means east coast of Badgerland? Like Sheboygan and Racine, and oh, what's that town that starts with an M?

9. Jul 4, 2006 #8
    Nope, my advisor took a job in Massachusetts and I followed him last year. But I was born and raised just outside of Green Bay and did my undergrad and first part of grad school in Wisconsin. So I am an ex-pat cheesehead. ;)

10. Jul 4, 2006 #9

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I live just down the road, in Greenville.

11. Jul 4, 2006 #10
    Does anybode know about a mailing list for Europeans (Austria)?
    When looking for ordering the book, I get redirected to CERN publication request, but there it says it's out of print and there is no further indication of when the new edition is released

12. Jul 4, 2006 #11

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That's what the North America page said too, but when I clicked on the link to be on their mailing list it turned out they would send me the new edition when it's ready. Does that link exist on the European page?

13. Jul 4, 2006 #12
  14. Jul 5, 2006 #13
    It appears that you can put your name on their mailing list whatever may be your country via this form (I found it via the US link)...

http://pdg.lbl.gov/cgi-bin/pdgmail/edit.pl

Noting that they also send these to students and "Science Fans", I think I'll get myself one. Thanks for the link.

15. Jul 5, 2006 #14
    I got hold of a copy of the Particle Properties Data Booklet ( it's a little ciggarette packet sized booklet....very small print ) simply by writing to Rutherford/Appleton laboratories in England and asking for a copy......which they sent for free. Mind you, that was 1981, so I wouldn't count on it still being free.

16. Jul 5, 2006 #15
    I signed up for all three in September of 2005. I received a pocket size calendar/phone number book in the mail early in 2006 but have not yet received either of the other two. I believe they are published every two years so the next batch should be up as I am under the impression the previous printing was in 2004.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?