Calculating Particle Speed in a Relativistic Decay Scenario

In summary, the decay particles have a speed of 1/2 the speed of light. The equation for the speed is gamma m c^2 where m is the mass of the decaying particle and c is the speed of light.
faen

Homework Statement

A particle with mass M decays into 2 particles of equal mass m.

1: Calculate the speed of the decay particles

2: Concider the case ρ->[tex]\Pi\Pi[/tex]: M = 770 MeV and m[tex]\Pi[/tex]= 140 MeV

Homework Equations

m = [tex]\gamma[/tex]m(restmass) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose M/2 is restmass and found an expression for the speed. However since the mass increase when the speed approaches the speed of light, this would imply that m is a larger number than M/2. But in task 2, it says M/2 is larger than m[tex]\Pi[/tex], which implies I've done something wrong.

Please help me solve this task or find out what i did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
faen said:

Homework Statement

A particle with mass M decays into 2 particles of equal mass m.

1: Calculate the speed of the decay particles

2: Concider the case ρ->[tex]\Pi\Pi[/tex]: M = 770 MeV and m[tex]\Pi[/tex]= 140 MeV

Homework Equations

m = [tex]\gamma[/tex]m(restmass) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose M/2 is restmass and found an expression for the speed. However since the mass increase when the speed approaches the speed of light, this would imply that m is a larger number than M/2. But in task 2, it says M/2 is larger than m[tex]\Pi[/tex], which implies I've done something wrong.

Please help me solve this task or find out what i did wrong.

The question is ambiguous since you don't say in what frame the calculation is done. I assume in the rest frame of the decaying particle? Then the eenrgy of each produced particle is M/2 and this is equal to [tex] \gamma m c^2 [/tex] where m is the mass of each produced particle.

nrqed said:
The question is ambiguous since you don't say in what frame the calculation is done. I assume in the rest frame of the decaying particle? Then the eenrgy of each produced particle is M/2 and this is equal to [tex] \gamma m c^2 [/tex] where m is the mass of each produced particle.

Ok now i understand it, thank you for the answer. :)

Last edited:

1. What is particle decay?

Particle decay is a process in which a particle transforms into one or more other particles. This can occur spontaneously or be triggered by external factors, such as collisions with other particles.

2. How does particle decay relate to relativity?

Particle decay is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics, which take into account the principles of relativity. In particular, the theory of special relativity helps explain the behavior of particles moving at high speeds, such as those involved in particle decay.

3. Can particle decay be reversed?

In some cases, particle decay can be reversed through a process called particle annihilation. This occurs when a particle and its antiparticle collide and convert their mass into energy, resulting in the creation of new particles.

4. How is particle decay studied?

Particle decay is studied through experiments using particle accelerators, which allow scientists to observe the behavior of particles at high speeds. These experiments provide valuable data for understanding the fundamental laws of physics.

5. What are the implications of particle decay for the universe?

Particle decay plays a crucial role in the evolution of the universe, as it allows for the formation of different types of matter and energy. It also helps explain the abundance of certain particles in the universe and the processes of cosmic nucleosynthesis and dark matter formation.