1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Decay

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the decay A -> B + C (where A is not at rest). In the rest frame of A, B is emitted in a random direction (all directions have equal probability) and I need to show that in the lab frame, the energy distribution of B is uniform.

(We assume that B has negligible mass)

2. Relevant equations

909c36cf59b2e9e46302e4c4fa1062ee.png

(Let c=1)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I started by writing down the 4-momenta of A and B in the rest frame of A (choosing the momentum of B to be along the x axis):

PA' = (mA,0,0,0)
    PB' = (EB',EB',0,0)

In the lab frame:

PA = (EA,(EA2-mA2)1/2,0,0)
    PB = (EB,EB,0,0)

Lorentz boosting along the x-axis, I can determine the maximum and minimum energy that B can have:

[tex]
    E_B^{\mathrm{min,max}} = \frac{E_A}{2} \bigg(1-\frac{m_C^2}{m_A^2}\bigg) \bigg(1 \pm \sqrt{1-\frac{m_A^2}{E_A^2}}\bigg)
    [/tex]

using:

[tex]
    \gamma = \frac{E_A}{m_A}\>,\gamma \beta = \frac{p_A}{m_A},\>E_A' = \frac{m_A^2-m_C^2}{2m_A}
    [/tex]

I could also Lorentz boost in all other directions to get expressions for the energy. But I have no idea how to show that each of these energies in equally probable?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try calculating EA as a function of θ and show that the dE/dΩ is a constant.

4. Aug 10, 2011 #3
    Ok, so using 3D spherical polars, I get [tex]E_B(\theta') = \frac{E_A}{2} \bigg(1-\frac{m_C^2}{m_A^2}\bigg) \bigg(1 + \sqrt{1-\frac{m_A^2}{E_A^2}}\>\mathrm{cos}(\theta ') \bigg)[/tex]

(I defined it so that there is max. energy at θ'=0 and min. at θ'=π)

Then dΩ = sin(θ')dθ'dφ' and so since EB is independent of φ', dE/dΩ is a constant?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  5. Aug 10, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Not quite. Nothing depends on φ', so you can integrate that out and deal only with θ', so you have dΩ' = 2π sin θ' dθ' where θ' goes from 0 to π. It's convenient to change variables to cos θ' so you have dΩ' = d(cos θ') where cos θ' runs from -1 to 1. (The minus sign goes into switching the order of the limits.) When you say that a decay is isotropic, that means that the distribution N is flat as a function of cos θ'. What you want to show is that dN/dEB is constant, using the fact that[tex]\frac{dN}{dE_B} = \frac{dN}{d(\cos \theta')} \frac{d(\cos\theta')}{dE_B}[/tex](which is simply an application of the chain rule).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook