• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Particle Dynamics Problem

• Thread starter s4orce
  • Start date
1. A particle is moving along a straight line such that its acceleration is defined as a=(4s^2)m/s^2, where s is in meters. If v=-100m/s when s=10m and t=0, determine the particles velocity as a function of position.

2. V=ds/dt a=dv/dt

3. V=ds/dt a=dv/dt 1/dt=ads*vdv
Integral 100 to s 4s^2ds=Integral -100 to v vdv

Integral 4s^2=4s^3/3

What do I do now, the answer is 16.89 ft. but I dont know how-to get that from the derivation. Need Help Thanks!

Answers and Replies

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
What've you done here: 1/dt=ads*vdv?

Your first equation a=4s2 is a differential equation: namely [tex]\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}-4s^2=0[/tex]. Do you know how to solve such an equation?

Integral 4s^2=4s^3/3

help me solve this please

need help i dont know what to do

Cristo gave you the equation, so solve the diff eq. Also the answer to the problem that you posted 16.89 ft, is not right. The question isn't asking for a numerical answer.

Another way is take the equations you have V=ds/dt a=dv/dt and eliminate dt and just integrate and do the algebra.

can you post how you did it please

if you got 15, for the answer thats not it also

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
s4orce, the question is not looking for a numerical answer; it is looking for an expression for velocity. The way I would do it, would be to solve the ODE I gave you in post 2, and then differentiate the answer wrt time.

Do you know how to solve such a differential equation?

Please note that we will not do your homework for you here; it won't help you learn the subject! What we will be happy to do is to help guide you to answer, if you put some work in. Check this link for the PF rules on homework help: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374