1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Emissions

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    I've just been working on some of the basics of radioactive emissions. I checked my answers in the back of the book and was so supried at what I found. I just want to clear some of these signs. charges and and relative mass.

Gamma [tex]^1_1\gamma[/tex]

I thought that gamma emission had no charge or relative mass. I also thought that the neutron had a relative mass of one, but no charge...

Is the answer book incorrect? Or do I just not trust it enough?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2008 #2
    As far as I'm aware, you're correct, the book is not.
  4. Jan 30, 2008 #3
    Could you source that?
  5. Jan 30, 2008 #4
    Uh... not off the top of my head. Gamma is electromagnetic radiation, and is therefore massless and chargeless. Neutrons are almost equivalent in mass to protons (with negligible difference), and therefore have mass 1, and (as the name suggests) electrically neutral, thus no charge.
  6. Jan 30, 2008 #5
    You see that is exactly what I thought, but it's not very common for a text book to be wrong after many students before me would have used it, and it's hard to believe it would not have been spotted. Thank you.
  7. Jan 30, 2008 #6
    I will consult my teacher
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?