Radioactive Emissions Basics - Check Answers & Clear Signs

The properties of gamma and neutron emissions are as you stated. It is possible that the book has a typo or error. It is always good to double check and verify information, especially when it seems conflicting.
_Mayday_
I've just been working on some of the basics of radioactive emissions. I checked my answers in the back of the book and was so supried at what I found. I just want to clear some of these signs. charges and and relative mass.

Gamma [tex]^1_1\gamma[/tex]

Neutron[tex]^1_1n[/tex]

I thought that gamma emission had no charge or relative mass. I also thought that the neutron had a relative mass of one, but no charge...

Is the answer book incorrect? Or do I just not trust it enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I'm aware, you're correct, the book is not.

Could you source that?

Uh... not off the top of my head. Gamma is electromagnetic radiation, and is therefore massless and chargeless. Neutrons are almost equivalent in mass to protons (with negligible difference), and therefore have mass 1, and (as the name suggests) electrically neutral, thus no charge.

You see that is exactly what I thought, but it's not very common for a textbook to be wrong after many students before me would have used it, and it's hard to believe it would not have been spotted. Thank you.

I will consult my teacher

1. What are radioactive emissions?

Radioactive emissions are particles or energy released from unstable atoms as they decay. These emissions can include alpha, beta, and gamma particles.

2. How do radioactive emissions affect living organisms?

Radioactive emissions can damage living organisms by disrupting cellular processes and causing mutations in DNA. This can lead to various health problems, including cancer.

3. What are the main sources of radioactive emissions?

The main sources of radioactive emissions include nuclear power plants, nuclear weapons testing, and natural sources such as radon gas and cosmic rays.

4. How can we protect ourselves from radioactive emissions?

To protect ourselves from radioactive emissions, we can limit our exposure by avoiding contaminated areas, using protective gear, and following safety protocols in nuclear facilities. It is also important to monitor and regulate the use of radioactive materials.

5. What are the signs of exposure to radioactive emissions?

The signs of exposure to radioactive emissions can include nausea, vomiting, hair loss, and skin burns. Long-term exposure can also lead to more serious health effects, such as organ damage and cancer.