Calculating Particle Energy Loss in Gases: Where to Start?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in understanding the energy loss of heavy, uncharged particles in a gas, particularly at lower energies. Stopping power is not a viable concept without charge and Bethe Bloch's formula only works for higher energies. The speaker is considering running a simulation to get a result, but is unsure how to account for chemical processes and ionization. They appreciate any help or guidance in this matter.
md123
Hey guys,

Im currently looking for a way to calculate the energy loss of a particle in a gas. This will help me to understand deposition processes better. The particles I am looking at are heavy, uncharged ones (e.g. metal atoms). Stopping power is not a viable concept without charge, and Bethe Bloch seems to only work for higher energies (>0.5MeV), whereas the energies I am looking at are in the order of eV, or some few keV at most.
I can't find a good solution for my problem, maybe you can give me a hint where to start, a theory, a formula... anything? Id sure appreciate any form of help!

So long,
md

Physics news on Phys.org
Particles of the order of eV are nearly thermal, they will stop within some small multiple of the mean free path in the gas, where the prefactor depends on the mass ratio between stopped particle and the gas molecules (or atoms at higher energy).
At higher energies, chemical processes and ionization get possible, where I don't know how to describe that.

Since its Ar-gas, its monoatomic and perfectly inert, so i don't have to think about the distinction of molecular and atomic scattering or chemical processes. I guess i could just run a simulation using simple mechanics, scattering factors and angular distributions, and use random numbers to get a result...

Probably. Ionization will be a possible source of energy loss, so elastic collisions give an upper estimate on the distances and timescales involved.

Thanks for the input and encouragement. How do people say? "Aint nothing to in but to do it". I will try!

1. What is particle energy loss in gases?

Particle energy loss in gases refers to the decrease in energy of a charged particle as it passes through a gas medium. This loss of energy occurs due to interactions between the particle and the gas molecules.

2. How does particle energy loss in gases occur?

Particle energy loss in gases occurs due to two main processes: ionization and excitation. Ionization is the process of removing an electron from an atom, while excitation is the process of transferring energy to an atom, causing it to become excited.

3. What factors affect particle energy loss in gases?

The factors that affect particle energy loss in gases include the type of gas, the energy of the particle, and the density of the gas. Additionally, the distance traveled by the particle and the atomic structure of the gas molecules can also impact energy loss.

4. How is particle energy loss in gases measured?

Particle energy loss in gases is typically measured using a device called a particle energy loss spectrometer. This instrument measures the energy of particles before and after they pass through a gas medium, allowing for the calculation of energy loss.

5. What is the significance of understanding particle energy loss in gases?

Understanding particle energy loss in gases is crucial in various scientific fields, including nuclear physics, atmospheric science, and medical physics. It allows us to study the behavior of particles in gases and to develop new technologies such as particle accelerators and radiation therapy for cancer treatment.