Particle Fever: The Documentry

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the conversation was about the documentary Particle Fever and how some of the participants had watched it and found it fascinating. One person mentioned being in the documentary, while another had recommended it to their physics professor. They also discussed the availability of the documentary on Netflix and the idea of visiting the Large Hadron Collider.
Has anyone watched Particle Fever? My wife and I just watched it and I was fascinated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Watched it. I'm told I am in it - at least the back of my head is.

I watched it a week ago, and emailed my go-to-physics-professor at University of Auckland about it -- he hadn't seen it though.

Very interesting documentary.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Vanadium 50 said:
Watched it. I'm told I am in it - at least the back of my head is.
omg that is awesome! Truly loved the film. So amazing!

Are there tours? I think the LHC is a bucket list destination now.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Has anyone watched Particle Fever? My wife and I just watched it and I was fascinated!

It's been on Netflix for over a year now...Oh wait, let me guess, you just cut the cord, got rid of cable, and fumbled upon it on Netfix, I am I right?:biggrin:

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is "Particle Fever: The Documentary" about?

"Particle Fever: The Documentary" is a film that follows the journey of six scientists at the Large Hadron Collider as they work to discover the elusive Higgs boson particle and explore the mysteries of the universe.

2. Why is the Higgs boson particle important?

The Higgs boson particle is important because it is the missing piece of the Standard Model of particle physics, which explains the fundamental building blocks of the universe. Its discovery helps us understand the origin of mass and provides insight into the structure of the universe.

3. Who are the scientists featured in the film?

The six scientists featured in "Particle Fever" are physicists and researchers from around the world, including Fabiola Gianotti, Monica Dunford, David Kaplan, Nima Arkani-Hamed, Martin Aleksa, and Savas Dimopoulos.

4. What is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)?

The LHC is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, located at CERN in Switzerland. It consists of a 17-mile long underground ring that accelerates particles to almost the speed of light, allowing scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

5. What are some of the themes explored in "Particle Fever"?

"Particle Fever" explores themes such as the pursuit of scientific knowledge, the collaborative nature of scientific research, and the potential impact of scientific discoveries on society. It also delves into the challenges and excitement of scientific experimentation and the human stories behind the scientists involved in groundbreaking research.