How do I derive the particle flux for a cylindrical vessel?

In summary, the homework statement is that a cylindrical vessel with cross-sectional area 1m^2 must derive the particle flux. However, the student is having difficulty figuring out how to do this. They are trying to take velocity components in every direction, but this becomes complicated because they already know that half of the particles will exit the cross-section to the left and the other half will exit to the right.
Unto

Homework Statement

Consider a cylindrical vessel with cross-sectional area 1m^2

Derive the particle flux (1/4n[itex]\bar{v}[/itex])

Homework Equations

I have the solid angle:

[itex]\Omega[/itex] = 2π(1-cosθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that the solid angle represents the full area that the particles can possibly travel through when passing through the end of the cylinder. But to be honest I don't have a clue on anything else..

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand that about 1/2 the particles go in opposite directions, so for one end of the cylinder you already have 1/2nv.. But you have to take into account the angular distribution of particles with a velocity distribution [v, v + dv] coming out of the end.

And this is where the solid angle comes in, but every which way I try to compute the angle to account for the directions I don't get a value 1/4 for the final answer.

What am I doing wrong please help.

I keep getting a factor of π/2 in my answer.

So I end up getting π/4nv which is wrong. Surely someone on this forum knows how to do this? I can't find any helpful sources on the internet, yet everyone quotes it religiously when the subject of particle flux comes up.

Is this for an infinite or semi-infinite cylinder? With or without absorption of the particles?

What is the particle source geometry: beam impinging upon diametral surface, distribued on diametral surface, line source on axis, distributed source through the cylinder?

Astronuc said:
Is this for an infinite or semi-infinite cylinder? With or without absorption of the particles?

What is the particle source geometry: beam impinging upon diametral surface, distribued on diametral surface, line source on axis, distributed source through the cylinder?

Hello,

It is a finite cylinder of let's say length vdt, with a cross-sectional area A of 1cm^2

The particle 'source' is a simple 3D gas with maxwellian velocity distribution (which I have already accounted for). The gas particles bounce elastically off of the walls until they exit through the cross-section.

This is actually a problem related to Plasma Physics.

Ah, so the gas behaves isotropically, except for perhaps some drift velocity, or low flow velocity. This is a similar problem in neutron diffusion in which the neutron current is the same in all directions, and one shows the the current is nv/4.

Yeah but how do I show it?

I know the particles can exit the cross-section through a solid angle Ω = 2π(1-cosθ), but ingrating over this angle gives me π/4nv.

I think I am doing it completely wrong but I honestly don't know how to approach this problem any other way. Taking velocity components Vx, Vy and Vz in every direction would overcomplicate things because from when you know that at least half of the particles will LEFT and the other RIGHT in the cylinder, you already have 1/2nv from this.

But to get 1/4nv, you need to account for the solid angle Ω of which the particles can exit (flux) through the cross section A of the cylinder.

Any pointers?

What is particle flux derivation?

Particle flux derivation is a scientific process used to determine the rate of particles passing through a specific area in a given time. It involves measuring the number of particles and dividing it by the area and time to calculate the flux.

Why is particle flux derivation important?

Particle flux derivation is essential in various fields of science, such as atmospheric science, physics, and chemistry, as it helps in understanding the behavior and movement of particles. It also allows researchers to make predictions about the distribution and concentration of particles in a specific area.

What are the different methods of particle flux derivation?

There are several methods of particle flux derivation, including the eddy covariance method, sediment trap method, and particle imaging techniques. Each method has its advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the type of particles being studied and the environment in which they are found.

How does particle flux derivation relate to particle size?

Particle flux derivation is directly related to particle size, as the size of particles can affect their movement and behavior. Smaller particles tend to be more easily transported by air or water currents, while larger particles may settle more quickly. Particle flux derivation takes into account the size of particles when calculating the flux rate.

What are some potential applications of particle flux derivation?

Particle flux derivation has numerous applications, including studying the movement of pollutants in the atmosphere, understanding the dynamics of ocean currents, and monitoring sediment transport in rivers and streams. It can also be used to analyze the behavior of particles in industrial processes and in the development of new materials.