Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Particle in a 1D box system

1. Oct 7, 2016 #1
    In the 1D particle in a box system why don't we take negative integer values of n besides the positive integer values? Well I thought about it and I think the reason is that during derivation we get ka=n (wavelength ) and thus n being negative implies that wavelength is negative hence contradiction.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2016 #2
    what is n?
    Iis it related to k= n.pi/L or n.pi/a if a is the width of the box
    moreover this condition is due to the acceptable wave function (solution of the Schrodinger equation) being zero at the boundary
    i.e. at x=0 and x=a

and which dynamical variable is being quantised ?
    Is it energy state ?
    and if its energy ,then it may be proportional to n^2 rather than n.

4. Oct 7, 2016 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Quantum states are uniquely defined up to a complex phase factor. What difference is there between ±n?

5. Oct 7, 2016 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

How does the wave function change for e.g. the second eigenstate if you replace n = +2 with n = -2? Does this make any difference in physically measurable quantities?

6. Oct 8, 2016 #5
    Here we are considering the time independent Schrödinger equation.

7. Oct 8, 2016 #6
    This may not make any difference in the physically measurable that is probability.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted