Particle in 1D Box: Relationship to Probability & Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the probability of finding a particle and its energy, specifically in the context of Schrodinger's equation. The conversation concludes that the probability does not increase or decrease monotonically as the energy state increases, but rather tends to approach a common value at higher energy levels.
Ayham

Homework Statement

I have a question: what's the relationship between the probability of finding the particle and the particle's energy? if x is the same.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the first question i had 30% for ground state
2nd energy level i got 2%
3rd energy level i got 16%
is that right? they're between 2L/3 and L/2

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers for the n = 1 and n = 3 states look correct. But not for the n = 2 state.

If you show your work, we can see if your method is correct.

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. Are you suppose to derive a functional relationship, P(n), between the probability P of finding the particle between L/2 and 2L/3 and the quantum number n?

i'll check my 2nd right away, my question is "if the energy state increases does the probability decreases?"
the equation for the answer is done by Schrodinger's ψ^2

I found my mistake... looks like the 2nd is 9.7% does that make sense? can u answer my previous question please?

Your answers now look pretty good (I got 9.8% for n = 2 and 17% for n = 3).

If you look at your three results, you can see that the probability decreases in going from n = 1 to n = 2 and then increases when going from n = 2 to n = 3. So, the probability does not increase or decrease monotonically as n increases. However, the probabilities will all tend to approach a common value (the classical result) as n increases to large values.

ok Thanks :) I am just 14 and i started quantum a few days ago, plus I am new here

Amazing! :smile: Good luck with your studies and welcome to Physics Forums.

1. What is a particle in a 1D box and how does it relate to probability and energy?

A particle in a 1D box is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional space. It is used to understand the relationship between the energy levels of the particle and the probability of finding the particle in a particular location within the box.

2. How does the size of the box affect the energy levels and probability of finding the particle?

The size of the box directly affects the energy levels of the particle. As the size of the box increases, the energy levels also increase. The probability of finding the particle at a particular location within the box also depends on the size of the box, with larger boxes having a higher probability of finding the particle at the center and lower probabilities at the edges.

3. What is the significance of the quantum number in the particle in a 1D box model?

The quantum number in the particle in a 1D box model represents the different energy levels that the particle can occupy. Each energy level has a unique quantum number, and the higher the quantum number, the higher the energy level.

4. How does the particle in a 1D box model relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. In the particle in a 1D box model, the particle is confined to a specific position, but its momentum is uncertain. This uncertainty is represented by the wave function, which describes the probability of finding the particle at a specific location.

5. How does the particle in a 1D box model differ from other quantum systems?

The particle in a 1D box model is a simplified system used to understand the basic principles of quantum mechanics. It differs from other quantum systems in that it only considers one dimension of space, while other systems may involve multiple dimensions and interactions with other particles. However, the principles and concepts studied in the particle in a 1D box model can be applied to more complex quantum systems.