1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle in a 1D box

1. Jan 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a question: whats the relationship between the probability of finding the particle and the particle's energy? if x is the same.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    the first question i had 30% for ground state
    2nd energy level i got 2%
    3rd energy level i got 16%
    is that right? they're between 2L/3 and L/2

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your answers for the n = 1 and n = 3 states look correct. But not for the n = 2 state.

If you show your work, we can see if your method is correct.

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. Are you suppose to derive a functional relationship, P(n), between the probability P of finding the particle between L/2 and 2L/3 and the quantum number n?

4. Jan 8, 2013 #3
    i'll check my 2nd right away, my question is "if the energy state increases does the probability decreases?"
    the equation for the answer is done by Schrodinger's ψ^2

5. Jan 8, 2013 #4
    I found my mistake... looks like the 2nd is 9.7% does that make sense? can u answer my previous question please?

6. Jan 8, 2013 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your answers now look pretty good (I got 9.8% for n = 2 and 17% for n = 3).

If you look at your three results, you can see that the probability decreases in going from n = 1 to n = 2 and then increases when going from n = 2 to n = 3. So, the probability does not increase or decrease monotonically as n increases. However, the probabilities will all tend to approach a common value (the classical result) as n increases to large values.

7. Jan 9, 2013 #6
    ok Thanks :) im just 14 and i started quantum a few days ago, plus im new here

8. Jan 9, 2013 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Amazing! :smile: Good luck with your studies and welcome to Physics Forums.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook