1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle in a bowl

1. Jul 3, 2005 #1

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

I suppose I could've used the "Fast particle in a bowl" thread, but as this is a different problem, I decided not to.

If you set a particle to move in a frictionless bowl (radius R) at the velocity v, how far is the orbit from the equator?

I got the following equations:
    [tex]tan\alpha = \frac{v^2}{gr}[/tex]
    [tex]r = Rsin\alpha[/tex]
    [tex]d = Rcos\alpha[/tex]
    where g is the constant 9,81[tex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex] and r the radius of the orbit.

I ended up with [tex]d = \frac{\frac{v^2}{gR}-\sqrt{(\frac{v^2}{gR})^2+4}}{-2}R[/tex], which seems a little complicated but gives reasonable answers. I haven't yet figured out why it only works with - in front of the square root (I got both plus and minus when I solved the equations). Is my solution correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2005 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I got
    [tex]
    d = \frac {-v^2 + \sqrt {v^4 + 4g^2r^2}}{2g}
    [/tex]
    I think that's the same as what you got.
    By putting v=0, I get d=R. Which is a reasonable answer.

I got a quadratic in d. That's where the minus sign came from.

4. Jul 3, 2005 #3

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Yep, it is the same.
    I got a quadratic too, from which I get two solutions (the plus/minus-sign). I'm uncertain why the other solution is wrong.

5. Jul 3, 2005 #4

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I took the value of d to be from the center of the bowl to the projection of the particle on the vertical axis.

This value must be positive.If I take one of the solutions of the quadratic, then the value of d will always be negative.

Because this is not possible (ie, the value of d must always be positive as the particle moves only in the bowl), I rejected the value and took the other value.

6. Jul 3, 2005 #5

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

The outcome cannot be predicted before the final solution(s), or can it?

Is taking a derivative the only "proper" way to figure out which solution is correct?

7. Jul 3, 2005 #6

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

'd' must be positive because the way I measure it, a negative value of 'd' would mean that the particle is above the hemi-spherical bowl (Where there is no bowl!).Thus, in the context of the question, this answer can be neglected.

8. Jul 3, 2005 #7

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Yes, I know it. But without a calculator or taking derivative, is there a way to figure out which of the solutions is right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?