Particle in a box classical expectations

Thank you. In summary, the behavior of a particle with energy E = \frac{\hbar^{2}k^{2}}{2m} > 0 moving in a finite potential V(x) can be described using the classical trajectory equation. In the limit of large energies, the particle's behavior would depend on the potential and energy values. In case (a), where V0 < 0 and E = -V0, the particle would reflect off the potential barriers and not enter the potential region. In case (b), where E < V0 and E = 3/4 V0, the particle would oscillate between the potential barriers. In case (c),
sunrah

Homework Statement

A particle with energy [itex]E = \frac{\hbar^{2}k^{2}}{2m}[/itex] > 0 moves in a finite potential

V(x) = 0 for x > abs(a)
V(x) = V0 x < abs(a)

How does a particle coming from the left behave classically under the following conditions:
a) V0 < 0, E = -V0
b) E < V0, E = 3/4 V0
c) 0 < V0 < E, E = 2V0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to sketch the behaviour of the particle. My thoughts are that in (a) and (c) the particle is unbound and in (b) it is bound, but I don't know what the situation would be classically. Also what am I actually expected to sketch, the wave function or the particle (e.g. classical trajectory r(t))

Physics news on Phys.org
?

Hello,

I would like to clarify a few things before addressing the question at hand. Firstly, the given potential V(x) is not finite, as it is dependent on x and thus infinite at x = ±a. Secondly, the expression for energy E is not fully accurate as it is missing a constant term, typically denoted by V∞, which represents the potential energy at infinity. This term is important as it affects the behavior of the particle in the classical limit.

Now, moving on to the question, I assume that by "classically" you mean in the limit of large energies, where the particle behaves like a classical object. In this case, the particle's behavior can be described using the classical trajectory, which is given by the equation of motion:

m(d^2x/dt^2) = -dV(x)/dx

For simplicity, I will assume that the particle is moving in one dimension (x-axis) and that V∞ = 0. With these assumptions, let's analyze the three cases:

a) In this case, V0 < 0 and E = -V0. This means that the particle has negative energy, which is not possible in classical mechanics. In this case, the particle would not be able to enter the potential region and would simply reflect off the potential barrier at x = ±a. The classical trajectory would be a straight line with a slope of zero, indicating that the particle is not moving.

b) Here, E < V0 and E = 3/4 V0. This means that the particle has positive energy but is still bound within the potential region. In this case, the particle would oscillate back and forth between the two potential barriers at x = ±a. The classical trajectory would be a sinusoidal curve with decreasing amplitude, indicating that the particle is losing energy due to the potential barriers.

c) In this case, 0 < V0 < E and E = 2V0. This means that the particle has positive energy and is unbound. In this case, the particle would pass through the potential region and continue to move in the positive x-direction. The classical trajectory would be a straight line with a positive slope, indicating that the particle is gaining energy and moving away from the potential region.

In conclusion, the classical behavior of the particle in these three cases would be different depending on the energy and potential values. I hope this helps in understanding

1. What is a "particle in a box" in classical mechanics?

A particle in a box is a simple model used in classical mechanics to study the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional box. The box represents the boundaries within which the particle can move, and the particle is assumed to have no interactions with its surroundings.

2. What is the significance of studying a "particle in a box"?

Studying a particle in a box allows us to understand the behavior of a confined particle and how it responds to different boundary conditions. This model can also be used to analyze more complex systems and phenomena in physics, such as the behavior of electrons in an atom.

3. What are the classical expectations for a "particle in a box"?

The classical expectations for a particle in a box include the assumption that the particle will have a well-defined position and momentum at any given time, and that it will move in a continuous and predictable manner. The particle is also expected to reflect off the boundaries of the box without any loss of energy.

4. How does the size of the box affect the behavior of the particle?

The size of the box affects the energy levels of the particle, with a larger box allowing for more possible energy states. As the size of the box increases, the energy levels become closer together, resulting in a smoother energy distribution. Additionally, a larger box may also affect the probability of finding the particle at different positions within the box.

5. What happens to the classical expectations when the particle is confined to a box with infinite potential walls?

When the particle is confined to a box with infinite potential walls, the classical expectations no longer hold. The particle cannot reflect off the walls, and its energy levels become quantized (discrete). This is known as the "particle in a box" problem in quantum mechanics, where the particle's behavior is described by wave functions and probabilities rather than classical mechanics.