1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle in a box problem please help.

1. May 3, 2009 #1

Nio

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume we have an infinitely deep square well of length L, with the left edge of the well at -L/2. Assume U = 0 at the bottom and infinity at the top. A) Using the time independent Schrodinger Equation, derive the wave equation for a particle trapped in this well. Make sure your equation is properly normalized

2. Relevant equations
    shrodingers equation, the general solution to it which is Asinkx +Bcoskx=psi(0)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that sin is and odd function and cos is even so I am supposed to arrive at two wave functions and have different values of n, even values for cos and odd for sin. I am supposed to get Psi(x)= (2/L)^.5sin(npix/L) where n is odd values and the same thing except cos and even values. I am having trouble deriving this using my boundary conditions, and I am also having trouble normalizing it.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2009 #2
    I would save normalization for the end. What are your boundary conditions so far?

4. May 4, 2009 #3
    Why is it that you can get sine and cosine solutions? i thought all you needed was the sine solution because it would always satify the boundary conditions of haveing a node at each boundary.

5. May 4, 2009 #4
    Well both satisfy Schrodingers equations. If the boundary conditions were Psi(0) = 0 and Psi(L) = 0, then sine would be your only solution because cos(0) = 1. But now your BC's are Psi(-L/2) = 0 and Psi(L/2) = 0. Therefore both can be solutions. You just need to find the 'k' that satisfies those BC's.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook