What Is the Probability of Finding an Electron at the Center of a Quantum Well?

In summary, the problem is asking for the probability of finding an electron in the n=2 state at the center of a 1-D potential well with infinite barrier height and width L. The probability is zero, as a specific point has a probability of 0 in a continuous distribution. The question may have been poorly worded and may actually be asking for the probability of finding the particle in a small range of values around the center of the well.
kwuk
Hi, I have been given the following problem;

If an electron is confined to a 1-D potential well of infinite barrier height and width
L, the normalized wavefunction Psi(x) of the electron in the various quantized states, n,
is given as Psin(x)=(2/L)0.5 sin(n pi x / L).

For the n=2 state, what is the probability of finding the electron at the centre of the
well?

I have calculated these probability questions in the past, but they have always been for a probability across a range of values for x, i.e from 0 to L/2, which I use as my limits when integrating. In this case however, it is asking about a specific point. I assume that the answer is zero, as the upper and lower limit are identical. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, with a continuous probability distribution, the probability of a obtaining a specific number is always 0. It's only meaningful to talk about the probability of finding the random variable in some range of values.

I think it was just a poorly worded question. The problem likely wants you to find the probability of finding the particle between x=L/2 and x=L/2+dx.

1. What is the "particle in a box" problem?

The "particle in a box" problem is a theoretical physics concept that describes the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional box. The box represents the boundaries of the particle's motion, and the particle is typically treated as a quantum mechanical system.

2. How does the "particle in a box" problem relate to quantum mechanics?

The "particle in a box" problem is a fundamental example in quantum mechanics that illustrates the quantization of energy levels in a confined system. It helps to explain the wave-like behavior of particles and how their behavior is influenced by their environment.

3. What are the assumptions made in the "particle in a box" problem?

The "particle in a box" problem makes several simplifying assumptions, including that the particle is confined to a one-dimensional box, that there are no external forces acting on the particle, and that the walls of the box are infinitely high and impenetrable.

4. How is the "particle in a box" problem solved?

The "particle in a box" problem is solved using mathematical equations from quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation. The solutions to these equations give the allowed energy levels and corresponding wave functions for the particle in the box.

5. What is the significance of the "particle in a box" problem?

The "particle in a box" problem is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it helps to explain the behavior of particles in confined systems. It also has practical applications in fields such as nanotechnology and solid-state physics.