Particle in a Box Question .

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an electron in a box and its probability density in a non-quantum mechanical case. It is mentioned that the electron is not a wave in any physical sense and the wave-particle duality is outdated. The conversation also recommends further reading for a better understanding of quantum mechanics.
terp.asessed
I've been wondering, if an electron in a box (of length L) is NOT a wave, what is the probability density in this non-quantum mechanical case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Non Quantum Mechanical case - don't get it.

But its not a wave in any usual physical sense. To see it the wave propagates in an abstract infinite dimensional Hilbert space.

The wave particle duality is a crock of the proverbial that was outdated when Dirac came up with his transformation theory in about 1927.

It persists today purely because of the semi-historical approach most textbooks take.

To see the real basis of QM check out:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

For a correct treatment of QM have a look at the first 3 chapters of Ballentine - it may be a revelation - it was for me:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9810241054/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
terp.asessed said:
I've been wondering, if an electron in a box (of length L) is NOT a wave, what is the probability density in this non-quantum mechanical case?

The electron is never a wave, no more so in quantum mechanics than in classical mechanics. Bhobba's observation about a "crock of the proverbial..." is indelicate but accurate.

But you're asking about the probability density for the position of the electron when quantum effects are insignificant. That will be ## \rho(x)=\delta(x-X)## where ##X## is the classical position and ##\delta## is the Dirac delta function. This solution is not physically realizable, although it is easy to construct situations (for example, all of classical mechanics) where it's a useful idealization.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, bhobba and terp.asessed
Thank you! I think I get it.

Likes bhobba

1. What is a "Particle in a Box" question?

A "Particle in a Box" question is a theoretical problem in quantum mechanics that involves determining the possible energy levels and wave functions of a particle confined to a finite region, or "box".

2. What is the significance of this problem in quantum mechanics?

The "Particle in a Box" problem is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of particles in a confined space, and it serves as a basic example for more complex quantum mechanical systems.

3. How is the "Particle in a Box" problem solved?

The solution to the "Particle in a Box" problem involves using the Schrödinger equation to determine the wave function of the particle, and then applying boundary conditions to find the allowed energy levels.

4. What are the applications of the "Particle in a Box" problem?

The "Particle in a Box" problem has applications in various fields such as solid state physics, nanotechnology, and chemistry. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules.

5. Can the "Particle in a Box" problem be extended to more complex systems?

Yes, the "Particle in a Box" problem can be extended to more complex systems, such as particles in multiple boxes or in potential wells of different shapes. This allows for a better understanding of the behavior of particles in a variety of situations.