Particle in a BOX - what are allowed momenta?

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the allowed momenta and energy values for a particle in a box of size 2L. The eigenfunctions for odd n are given by asin(nPix/2L) and for even n by bcos(nPix/L). The allowed values for the momenta are related to the energy through de Broglie's equation p=h/λ=ħk. The symmetric and antisymmetric eigenfunctions are defined as even and odd functions respectively. The expression for allowed energy was not necessary.
student1938
Particle in a BOX -- what are allowed momenta?

Ok I am trying to come up with the first five eigenfunctions for the particle in a box of size 2L. Now, I gave the appropriate initial conditions and get as a solution phi(x) = bcos(kx) + asin(kx). I said that phi(-L) = phi(L) = 0 which game me bcos(kL) + asin(kL) = 0 and bcos(kL) - asin(kL) = 0 . Upon solving them, I get that for n being odd, k = nPi/2L and for even n, k = nPi/L. Thus for odd n, phi(x) = asin(nPix/2L) and for even n, phi(x) = bcos(nPix/L). Now, I can easily plot these for n = 1,2,3,4,5 but I am also asked WHAT ARE THE allowed values of momenta.

Now, I managed to get the allowed values of energy since from the resulting differential equation, I defined E = (k^2)*(hbar^2)/2m. So clearly, once I have k for various n, I have E.

Now my question: How do I relate energy to momenta?

Also, the question says "DO NOT FORGET TO INCLUDE SYMMETRIC AND ANTISYMMETRIC EIGENFUNCTIONS in your plot" Do they mean even and odd or what?

I am desparate for help with this nagging issue.

student1938

Physics news on Phys.org
You would get two different values for the accepted energy. How come? Usually it works out to one expression and the only difference is what n you choose but there should be one expression for E.

I know about that, but it depends on what the size of the box is. The only reason things worked out nicely to one expression was due to the fact that the box was centered at the origin and was of size L rather than what I have which is 2L.

I think there was an expression relating energy to momentum. I just cannot recall that. I ' m sure someone must know it.

And also the issue of symmetric and anti symmetric must be known by somebody.

I am quite desparate guys.

Recall de Broglie: [tex]p=\frac{h}{\lambda}=\frac{h}{2\pi} \frac{2\pi}{\lambda}=\hbar k [/tex].

Yes, the symmetric wavefunction is the even function such that [itex]\psi(-x)=\psi(x) [/itex]. Similarly, the antisymmetric wavefunction is the odd function such that [itex]\psi(-x)=-\psi(x) [/itex].

Was there even any need to come up with the expression for the allowed energy since it is clearly not related to the allowed momenta. It doesn 't hurt to show it but it was not necessary.

1. What is a particle in a box?

A particle in a box is a simplified model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional box. The walls of the box act as barriers, preventing the particle from escaping.

2. What are allowed momenta in a particle in a box?

The allowed momenta in a particle in a box are the discrete values of momentum that a particle can have while confined within the box. These values are determined by the size of the box and the mass of the particle.

3. How are the allowed momenta in a particle in a box related to the energy levels?

The allowed momenta in a particle in a box are directly related to the energy levels of the particle. The momentum values correspond to the different energy levels that the particle can have while confined in the box.

4. What is the significance of the lowest allowed momentum in a particle in a box?

The lowest allowed momentum in a particle in a box is known as the ground state momentum. It corresponds to the lowest energy level that the particle can have while confined in the box. This ground state momentum also determines the minimum energy that the particle can have.

5. Can a particle in a box have any momentum value?

No, a particle in a box can only have certain discrete values of momentum that correspond to the allowed energy levels. These values are determined by the size of the box and the mass of the particle.