1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle in a box

1. Nov 9, 2013 #1
    a particle is confined in a potential box 0≤x≤a. when t=0 wave function is given: ψ(x,0)=1/5(√6sin(∏x/a)+2sin(2∏x/a)). find probability of finding the particle in ground state and energy in ground state !

anyone please tell me how to solve the problem

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Have you thought about the problem yourself before? In this forum you don't get the solution without showing some work, but help to find the solution yourself, and this helps you more than you might think!

4. Nov 9, 2013 #3
    yes I have, sir

5. Nov 9, 2013 #4
    Post your attempt at the solution.

6. Nov 9, 2013 #5
    [itex]\int[/itex](boundary a to 0) |ψ(x,0)|^2=[ √6/√5sin(∏x/a)+2/√5sin(2∏x/a)][√6/√5sin(∏x/a)+2/√5sin(2∏x/a]
    [itex]\int[/itex] [6/5(sin(∏x/a))^2+2√6/5sin(∏x/a)sin(∏x/a)+2√6/5sin(∏x/a)sin(2∏x/a)+4/5(sin(2∏x/a))^2

but I didn't find the final value. there's still "a" in the final result instead of a number of probability.

7. Nov 9, 2013 #6
    I honestly am having a hard time understand what you wrote, please write in Latex, it's there for a reason.

If I understand your question, you're asking how to find the probability that a measurement will produce a value ##E_n##, right?

Assuming that your wave function is already normalized, recall that

$$\Psi (x,0) = \sum ^{\infty} _{n=1} c_n \psi _n (x)$$

What does ##c_n## tell you?

8. Nov 10, 2013 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The presence of ##a## is not really a problem. What exactly are you trying to do here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted