Particle in a box

Homework Statement
A particle is confined in a one dimensional potential box with impenetrable walls at x = ±a. Its energy eigenvalue is 2eV and corresponds to the eigenfunction of the first excited state. What is the lowest possible energy of the particle ?
Relevant Equations
Hψ = Eψ
E = (nπ hbar)^2/2mL^2
For calculating minimum E, I have n = 1, L = 2a & ψ = 2.
But I am not getting how to exactly find its value.
Please help me !

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement:: A particle is confined in a one dimensional potential box with impenetrable walls at x = ±a. Its energy eigenvalue is 2eV and corresponds to the eigenfunction of the first excited state. What is the lowest possible energy of the particle ?
Relevant Equations:: Hψ = Eψ
E = (nπ hbar)^2/2mL^2

For calculating minimum E, I have n = 1, L = 2a & ψ = 2.
But I am not getting how to exactly find its value.
Please help me !
What is ##\psi = 2## supposed to mean?

Its energy eigenvalue is 2eV and corresponds to the eigenfunction of the first excited state.
What does this statement imply about the value of the quantity ##\dfrac{\pi^2\hbar^2}{2ma^2}##?

What does this statement imply about the value of the quantity ##\dfrac{\pi^2\hbar^2}{2ma^2}##?
The value of this quantity should be equal to 2 × 1.6e-19 J

Why is that?
Since this is quantized energy and it is given that the value of energy eigenvalue is 2eV

Since this is quantized energy and it is given that the value of energy eigenvalue is 2eV
Which eigenvalue is ##2eV##? ##n = 1## or ##n = 2##?

Okay now I think I got it. The given value is for n=2 and I need to find it for n=1. Right ?

Okay now I think I got it. The given value is for n=2 and I need to find it for n=1. Right ?
Right!

Likes tanaygupta2000

Suggested for: Particle in a box

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies