1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle in a field

1. Feb 28, 2006 #1
    Solve the equation of motion for a particle of mass m and charge q moving in a constant electric and magnetic field E0 and B0 tat is solve the equation
    [tex] m \dot{v} - q E_{0} + \frac{q}{C} v \times B_{0} [/tex]
    to determine the velocity v(t) and thence the trajctory r(t) of the particle. Discuss the hsape of the trajectory.

Hint: Choose the z axis along B0 and the y axis perpendicular to the plane of E0 and B0

Wel accoridng to the hint Bx and By would be zero
    since Y is perpendicular ot the plane of E an B then
    [tex] E_{x} = E_{0} \cos(t)[/tex]
    [tex] E_{z} = E_{0} \sin(t)[/tex]
    Ey = 0
    does v hasve to be dependant on some angle??

so does this mean i have to have three separate lagrangians?
    would phi depend on t since the velocity will change ??
    force in the Z direction is
    [tex] m \dot{v_{z}} = q E_{0} \sin(t) + \frac{q}{c} v_{?} \times B_{0} [/tex]
    not sure about the direction of v. I dont think its possible... is it? After i find the force do i have to find the potential V(z)? But nothing in that equation is dependant on z, is it? T is indpednant. However since the velocity is changing isnt v depdnant on z??

for hte Y direction velocity in the X direction yes?
    [tex] m \dot{v_{x}} = q E_{0} \cos(t) + \frac{q}{C} v_{x} \times B_{0} [/tex]
    again... what about the potnetial and its dependance on t or y??

for the Y direction
    [tex] m \dot_{y} = \frac{q}{c} (-v_{x}) \times B_{0} [/tex]
    are there right so far?
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the fields are constant, why did you put a time dependence for the electric field strength...?

4. Mar 1, 2006 #3
    i was meaning to correct that ...
    it should jsut be some angle, phi, shouldnt it???
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?