Solving SHM: Displacement at t=1/80

In summary: However, the system must be linear for this to be the case--otherwise the displacement would be non-linear and not add up.
hav0c

Homework Statement

A particle is subjected to two simple harmonic motions given by
x1=2[sin(100πt)]
x2=2[sin(120πt+{π/3})] where x is in centimetre and time is in seconds.
Find the displacement of the particle at t=1/80

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer given in my book is found by simply putting the value of time in both equations and adding the displacements..
But I am confused. How can we add the displacements even though the angular frequencies of both SHM's are different?

Physics news on Phys.org
hav0c said:

Homework Statement

A particle is subjected to two simple harmonic motions given by
x1=2[sin(100πt)]
x2=2[sin(120πt+{π/3})] where x is in centimetre and time is in seconds.
Find the displacement of the particle at t=1/80

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer given in my book is found by simply putting the value of time in both equations and adding the displacements..
But I am confused. How can we add the displacements even though the angular frequencies of both SHM's are different?

Why would you NOT be able to add them? The frequencies or anytrhing else about the two motions have nothing to do with the validity of adding them.

(d2x1)/dt2=-ω12x1
(d2x2)/dt2=-ω22x2
Isn't the property of addition of the SHM's based on the addition of forces? If ω is same we can directly add the displacements.(taking -ω2 common from the two equations) But how will i prove that the addition of SHM's in case of different ωs will result in direct addition of displacements?

hav0c said:
(d2x1)/dt2=-ω12x1
(d2x2)/dt2=-ω22x2
Isn't the property of addition of the SHM's based on the addition of forces? If ω is same we can directly add the displacements.(taking -ω2 common from the two equations) But how will i prove that the addition of SHM's in case of different ωs will result in direct addition of displacements?

You are not solving the differential equation for shm. You are not adding forces. You are merely adding two displacements.

If you for example had a mass-spring system with given applied forces at two different frequencies, you would have to solve the shm equation with two separate forcing functions. You would merely solve the equation for each forcing function by itself and then add the results. This is the concept of superposition and is valid if the system is linear & time-invariant.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot. Can you please guide me to a rigorous proof of the concept of superposition? The result doesn't seem readily apparent to me. Also that is the significance of the system being linear?

You should look up 'linear' and 'superposition'.

I'll give you an example of what would have been the case had your system not been linear. Assume if you put x in the system you get kx^2 out instead of kx. kx is linear, kx^2 is not.

So for your x1 you'd get k x1^2 by itself, and for your x2 you'd get k x2^2 by itself. But they wouldn't add: the output would not be k x1^2 + k x2^2 but k(x1 + x2)^2. You can see the two expressions are not the same.

This is simply a poorly posed problem. They don't tell you why the displacement is the linear sum of two shm displacements. They just say that it is. The overall combined motion is obviously not a simple harmonic motion. If the particle is exhibiting this motion in a system that behaves linearly, it cannot be the only mass involved in the system. There must be another mass and at least another spring. Let me guess: this problem is from a math course, and not from a physics course.

Chet

1. What is SHM and how is it related to displacement at t=1/80?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of an object. The displacement at t=1/80 refers to the displacement of the object at a specific time, in this case, at 1/80th of a second.

2. How is displacement calculated in SHM at t=1/80?

The displacement at t=1/80 can be calculated using the equation x(t) = A*cos(ωt+φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. The values of A, ω, and φ can be determined based on the given conditions of the motion.

3. Can you explain the concept of angular frequency in SHM?

Angular frequency, denoted by ω, is a measure of the number of cycles completed by an object in one unit of time. In SHM, ω is related to the period of the motion (T) by the equation ω = 2π/T. It represents the rate at which the object oscillates back and forth in a circular motion.

4. How does displacement at t=1/80 change as the amplitude changes in SHM?

The displacement at t=1/80 is directly proportional to the amplitude of the motion. This means that as the amplitude increases, the displacement at t=1/80 also increases, and vice versa. The amplitude affects the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-life situation that involves SHM and displacement at t=1/80?

A simple pendulum is a real-life example of SHM, where the bob (object) oscillates back and forth under the influence of gravity. At t=1/80, the displacement of the bob can be calculated using the equation x(t) = A*cos(ωt+φ), where A is the length of the pendulum and ω is the angular frequency determined by the length and gravitational acceleration.