1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle in the box

1. Mar 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Particle is put in into the infinity potential well. How the probability of finding particle between different maxima of probability density is changing by increasing of ##n##?

2. Relevant equations
    ##\psi_n(x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin \frac{n\pi x}{a}##
    ##E_n=\frac{n^2\pi^2\hbar^2}{2ma^2}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##\frac{d}{dx}|\psi_n(x)|^2=\frac{1}{a}\frac{2n\pi}{a}\sin\frac{2n\pi x}{a}=0##
    so
    ##\frac{2n\pi x}{a}=k\pi##
    From that ##x=\frac{ka}{2n}##.
    To bi maximum
    ##\cos \frac{2n\pi x}{a}<0##.
    Right?
    What is easiest way to solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Write out the probability calculation for n=1,2,3 ... and spot the pattern.

4. Mar 9, 2014 #3
    For ##n=1## I get that ##\frac{d}{dx}\psi_1^2(x)=0## for ##x=\frac{ka}{2}##. How I now that ##k=1?##. If I take second derivative I get ##\frac{d}{dx}\psi_1^2(x)=\frac{4\pi^2}{a^3}\cos \frac{2\pi x}{a}##. If ##k=0##, ##x=0## and ##cos(0)=1>0##, so ##\psi_1(x=0)## is minimum. For ##k=1##, ##x=\frac{a}{2}## and ##cos(\pi)=-1<0## so for ##x=\frac{a}{2}## function has maximum. For ##k=2##, ##x=a## function again has minimum.

For ##n=2## I get that ##\frac{d}{dx}\psi_2^2(x)=0## lead to ##x=\frac{k}{4}a##. So I have five possibilities ##k=0,1,2,3,4##. Two maxima are for ##k=1## and ##k=3##.

For ##n=3## seven possibilities ##k=0,1,2,3,4,5,6##. Three maxima are for ##k=1,k=3,k=5##.

But I still don't have real generalisation. I have only behaviour. I see that the all maxima are for odd number ##k##.

Is there any other easier way to find this?

5. Mar 9, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are overthinking it:
    - just sketch the probability densities for the first 3-4 energy levels, what sort of function are they?

- mark in two adjacent maxima for each and shade the area between them that you need to calculate.
    Make a note of what the x values are (hint: try substituting ##\theta=kx## - what are the values of ##\theta## going to be for the first two maxima?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted