1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Interaction Question

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Which of the following reactions are forbidden and why?

[itex]\pi^{0}\rightarrow\gamma[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

None?

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty sure that the decay doesn't occur (it's forbidden) but I don't know why. I know that it decays most of the time into two gammas.

I think the problem is that I don't understand what characteristics [itex]\gamma[/itex] (photon) has. As in, when I do other problems like this I look at the quark content and the flavors, compare Strangeness and Lepton numbers etc etc.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2011 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to consider conservation of the spin quantum number.

4. Nov 30, 2011 #3
    So if the pion has s=0 but gamma has s=1, why does the pion decay to two gammas but not to one?

5. Nov 30, 2011 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What are the allowed values of total spin for a two photon system?

6. Nov 30, 2011 #5
    Okay I looked it up, and found that they combine so that the spin projection cancels and are spin-0.

Sorry I had to ask some menial stuff from you, my book doesn't spend any time going into detail about these things. There was no mention of the photons :[

Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook