Motion Diagram of Galileo's Ball Drop from Leaning Tower of Pisa

In summary, the task is to create a vertical motion diagram for a ball dropped from the Leaning Tower of Pisa, using the particle model and labeling the velocity vectors with V1, V2, etc. The velocity vectors should increase in size as the object falls due to acceleration, with each dot representing one second on the equal time spacing. Additional labeling, such as the starting height, may also be beneficial for scoring points.
Sylis

Homework Statement

Draw a motion diagram for each motion described below.
-Use the particle model
-Show and label the velocity vectors

22) Galileo drops a ball from the Leaning tower of Pisa. Consider the ball's motion from the moment it leaves his hand until a microsecond before it hits the ground. Your diagram should be vertical.

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_20130915_150208_699_zps8e153fcc.jpg

This is my stab at the problem. I believe I'm on the right track but I'm not sure how to label the velocity vectors. Do I just label them V1, V2... and so on, starting from the top?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram shows the acceleration vector increasing. Is that what you want?

No... no it isn't. Thank you for pointing that out. Still though, what does it mean it wants me to label the velocity vectors?

You are more likely to know what constitutes a correct motion diagram, than I (with regard to the number of points, the location of the points, labeling, whether this diagram is to show qualitative or quantitative vectors, etc.). For the points you already show, what would the velocity vectors look like?

Are you supposed to show points at equal time spacings or equal distance spacings?

We're supposed to show equal time spacing. Each dot would represent one second. The velocity vectors would increase in size as the object falls to Earth do to acceleration. The arrows connecting each dot are the velocity vectors. I just don't understand what it means to label them. They're labeled in the book as V1. V2... etc. And it doesn't really go over any other sort of labeling.

Then that sounds like all the labeling directions you need. V1 would be the velocity vector at 1 second, etc. Are you mapping this to an x-y grid? Labeling the starting height might gain you some points.

1. How did Galileo use a motion diagram to study the ball drop from the Leaning Tower of Pisa?

Galileo used a motion diagram to record the position and velocity of the ball at different points during its fall from the Leaning Tower of Pisa. He marked the position of the ball at regular time intervals and used these data points to create a visual representation of the ball's motion.

2. What did Galileo's motion diagram reveal about the ball's motion?

Galileo's motion diagram showed that the ball's velocity increased as it fell, and that it fell a greater distance in each successive time interval. This disproved the popular belief at the time that objects of different masses fall at different rates.

3. How did Galileo's findings contribute to our understanding of gravity?

Galileo's experiments and motion diagram helped to prove that gravity is a constant force acting on all objects, regardless of their mass. This challenged the previous belief that heavier objects fall faster than lighter ones.

4. How does the motion diagram of Galileo's ball drop relate to the concept of free fall?

The motion diagram of the ball drop from the Leaning Tower of Pisa demonstrates the concept of free fall, which is when an object falls under the influence of gravity with no other forces acting upon it. The motion diagram shows that the ball's acceleration due to gravity is constant as it falls.

5. What impact did Galileo's motion diagram have on the study of physics?

Galileo's motion diagram was a groundbreaking visual representation of the ball's motion and helped to disprove long-held beliefs about the behavior of falling objects. It also paved the way for further scientific inquiries and experiments into the laws of motion and gravity, contributing to the development of modern physics.