1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle momentum problem

1. Mar 11, 2006 #1
    6. Two particles, each of mass m, are connected by a light inextensible string of length 2l. Initially they lie on a smooth horizontal table at points A and B distant l apart. The particle at A is projected across the table with velocity u. Find the speed with which the second particle begins to move if the directions of u is.
    (a) along AB,

mu = (m+m)v
    v = u/2

But the given answer is u/2 and mu/2. Can anyone explain to me why there are 2 answers? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Only the first answer is a speed; the other is a momentum.

4. Mar 11, 2006 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't see the answer of [itex]\frac{1}{2}mu[/itex] being correct, because that would leave the velocity having units of [itex]m\cdot kg \cdot s^{-1}[/itex], which doesn't happen.:yuck:

5. Mar 11, 2006 #4
    Thanks..I am so stupid...

6. Mar 11, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It really is bad practise by a book to ask for a velocity then give an answer in momentum. I've just had some problems with a textbook myself ...:mad:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?