How Do You Solve the Differential Equation for Particle Motion with F=kvx?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding x(t) given F=kvx, and the particle's initial conditions of passing through the origin with speed Vo at t=0. The formula is rewritten in terms of velocity and time, and the conversation explores techniques such as separation of variables and the chain rule to solve the differential equation. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the equation is not solvable through first-order methods and further techniques may be needed.
infraray
I'm given F=kvx. I need to find x(t), k is a positive constant, and the particle passes thru the origin with speed Vo at time t=0.

I start by rewriting the formula as such:

dv/dt=k*dx/dt*x

I am confused now though because I now have dv,dt, and dx. I assume I need to get everything in terms of dx and dt. Can I use separation of variables or do I need another technique?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is v the speed?

If so, you got F=kvx, which can be rewriten as

[tex]F = k\frac{dx}{dt}x[/tex]

and F = ma, which can be rewritten as

[tex]F = m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex]

Combining the two leads to

[tex]k\frac{dx}{dt}x = m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex]

Now is this where you have trouble? [itex]kx=mx^{2}[/itex] has solutions x=0 and x=k/m. What does this tell you about the differential equation?

Last edited:
Ok, after some tinkering I was able to get:
[tex]k\frac{dx}{dt}x = m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/tex]
Since it doesn't appear to be able to be put into a 1st order equation I assume I am out of luck with seperation, or am I?

Sorry, but I'm not sure what x=0, x=k/m tells me about the equation. Are they linear dependent? The lighter the object the further it travels?

It's been over 2 years since diff eq and my head is a mess right now. I feel helpless. My teacher keeps saying this is easy, but when you've been away from it for a while, it is very hard. It's not like riding a bike that's for sure.

Try using the fact (chain rule) that
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}= \frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}= v\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]
to eliminate t from the equation.

[tex]m\frac{dv}{dt}= mv\frac{dv}{dx}= F= kxv[/tex]

1. What is a particle motion differential equation?

A particle motion differential equation is a mathematical representation of the motion of a particle in a given system. It takes into account various factors such as the particle's position, velocity, and acceleration, and uses differential equations to describe how these factors change over time.

2. How is a particle motion differential equation different from other differential equations?

Unlike other differential equations that focus on describing the behavior of a system as a whole, a particle motion differential equation specifically focuses on the motion of a single particle within that system. It is often used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of particles in various systems, such as in fluids or under the influence of external forces.

3. What are the key components of a particle motion differential equation?

The key components of a particle motion differential equation include the particle's position, velocity, and acceleration. These are often represented by variables such as x, v, and a, respectively. Additionally, the equation may also include other variables that represent factors such as external forces or friction.

4. How are particle motion differential equations solved?

Solving a particle motion differential equation involves finding the function that satisfies the equation and describes the particle's motion. This can be done using various mathematical methods, such as separation of variables or substitution. The solution can then be used to predict the particle's behavior at any given time.

5. What are some real-world applications of particle motion differential equations?

Particle motion differential equations have numerous real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. They are commonly used to model the motion of particles in fluids, such as air or water, and to predict the behavior of objects under the influence of external forces, such as a falling object or a swinging pendulum. They are also used in fields such as robotics, aerodynamics, and celestial mechanics.