1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle motion in a straight line - find opposing force as a function of velocity

1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    Hello everyone,

This is my first time in Physics forums so forgive me if I stray from the convention for asking questions. Me and a friend are completely stumped on our first assignment for the year and we are not sure where else to turn!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass m can move in a straight line. The only force acting on the particle opposes its motion, and depends only on its speed. The time T taken for the particle to come to rest after it is set into motion with speed u is given by the formula [itex]T=klog(1+au)[/itex] for all u, where k and a are positive constants. Find the force acting on the particle during the interval [itex]0\leq t\leq T[/itex] as a function of its speed v. Find also the distance the particle travels in time T.

Hint: Recall that the first fundamental theorem of calculus states that [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x} \int_{a}^{x}f(w)dw=f(x)[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

[itex]T=klog(1+au)[/itex], [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}, \int_{a}^{x}f(w)dw=f(x)[/itex]

[itex]F(v)=m\frac{\mathrm{d}v }{\mathrm{d} t}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

As far as I can see the best thing to do is take Newton's second law stated above, and separate the variables to give:

[itex]m\int \frac{dv}{F(v)}=\int_{0}^{T}dt[/itex]

Which would give simply T on the RHS, so substituting for T would give:

[itex]m\int \frac{dv}{F(v)}=klog(1+au)[/itex]

Now I am not sure how to proceed. I am tempted to try and take F(v) out of the integral to the other side of the equation, but I'm not sure whether this is allowed:

[itex]m\int \frac{dv}{klog(1+au)}=F(v)[/itex]

If so, then my answer would simply be [itex] \frac{mv}{klog(1+au)}=F(v)[/itex]. Any ideas as if this is correct?

For the second part I think I need to modify our starting point with Newton's second law to say:

[itex]mv\frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} x}=F(v)[/itex]

But after that I am a bit lost. If I have the equation for F(v) perhaps I can separate variables again and then express v as dx/dt and integrate again. Unfortunately i cannot see far enough ahead to see how this would work.

Thanks everyone in advance for taking a look at this!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2
    Re: Particle motion in a straight line - find opposing force as a function of velocit

You are almost there. You cannot have a definite integral of the RHS, but an indefinite integral on the LHS. So the correct equation is:
    [tex]m\int^{0}_{u} \frac{dv}{F(v)}=\int_{0}^{T}dt = klog(1+au)[/tex]
    Suppose you know [itex]F(v)[/itex], how would you do the integral? You would have to taking anti-derivative of [itex]\frac{m}{F(v)}[/itex]. This should give you a hint of how it is related to the RHS. If still unsure, take derivative with respect to [itex]u[/itex] on both sides.

As for the second part, since [itex]T(u)[/itex] is the time it takes to stop the particle with velocity u, then at any intermediate time t when the particle is traveling with velocity [itex]v(t)[/itex], it would take [itex]T(v)[/itex] more time to stop it. Therefore, [itex]t + T(v)= T[/itex]. This allow you to invert and find [itex]v(t)[/itex], from which you can integrate to find [itex]x(t)[/itex].

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. Jul 21, 2011 #3
    Re: Particle motion in a straight line - find opposing force as a function of velocit

Ah hah!

So if we were to differentiate both sides with respect to u, the RHS would become ka/(1+au). Then using the theorem given in the hint the LHS would become -1/F(u). So that gives us:

[itex]F(u)=-\frac{1+au}{ka}[/itex].

However the question asked for the force in terms of v, so how might I go about that from here?

Thanks very much for your help so far!

5. Jul 21, 2011 #4

Can T=K log(1+au) be rearranged to give us u?

u=1/a * ((10^(T/K)) -1))

If that is substituted back into the equation for force...

F(T)=-(10^T/K) / Ka

Does this get us anywhere?

6. Jul 22, 2011 #5

Let me give you a simpler example here. Suppose [itex]f(x)[/itex] satisfies [itex]\int_0^y f(x) dx = \frac{y^2}{2}[/itex]. I differentiate both side with respect to [itex]y[/itex] and get [itex]f(y) = y[/itex]. What is [itex]f(x)[/itex]?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  7. Jul 23, 2011 #6

Hmm, so in your example here, if f(y)=y then it would also be true that f(x)=x. Is then as simple as saying that if:

[itex]F(u)=-\frac{1+au}{ka}[/itex] then [itex]F(v)=-\frac{1+av}{ka}[/itex]?

If we substitute this expression for F(v) into the original integral it seems to almost work, apart from the fact that we still have a factor of m:

[itex]m\int_{u}^{0}\frac{dv}{F(v)}=kmlog(1+au)[/itex]

Thanks again.

8. Jul 25, 2011 #7

If we were to say that:

[itex]F(v)=\frac{m(1+av)}{ka}[/itex]

Then the integration seems to work and is equal to [itex]klog(1+au)[/itex]. For now I'll assume this is correct.

For the second part I have taken the equation t+T(v)=T(u) to give:

[itex]t+klog(1+av)=klog(1+au)[/itex]

Rearranging this for v gives:

[itex]v=\frac{1+au}{a10^{t/k}}-\frac{1}{a}[/itex]

Integrating this between 0 and T gives:

[itex]x=-\frac{k(1+au)10^{-t/k}}{a}-\frac{t}{a}[/itex]

Which is showing a negative value for the position x. I think this is probably incorrect, but I am not sure where I have gone wrong...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook