1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Motion

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle moves in a straight line with acceleration which is inversely proportional to t3 , where t is the time. The particle has a velocity of 3ms-1 when t=1 and its velocity approaches a limiting value of 5ms-1 . Find an expression for its velocity at time t.

2. Relevant equations
    a=-kt^3

3. The attempt at a solution
    9qlgnb.jpg *****ROOKIE MISTAKE SHOULD BE -2/t^2 + d (last equation)***

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2
    I won't answer the question directly for you, but this is just a basic algebra problem, remember that when y is proportional to x, you use the formula y=kx where k is some constant, inversly proportional to x and you have y = k/x. Once you know how y is proportional to x, and you have test values for y and x, you can plug them in and solve for k.

4. Mar 25, 2012 #3
    I did some more and got stuck again, do you mind looking at it?

5. Mar 25, 2012 #4
    I'm not entirely sure what you did there here's what would be a good idea:

∫ dv/dt dt = k∫1/t^2 dt

v= -k/2t^2 + d

now you know that when t=1 v=3, and you also know that the limiting velocity (when t→∞) is 5, so when t→∞, d=v, and v= 5, so d = 5, so now you have the formula

v=-k/2t^2 + 5, and you know that when t=1, v=3.

so just plug it in and solve for k

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook