Conservation Laws and the Movement of Particles around a Pole

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle moving around a pole and how to approach solving it. The main questions raised are whether the particle can move in a horizontal circle and if conservation of angular momentum is necessary. Other considerations include the thickness of the pole and other applicable conservation laws.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

string.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First and foremost I am not sure about how the particle moves around the pole .Can it keep moving in horizontal circle .Or do we have to assume this .

Is it something like a conical pendulum ?

I don't have much ideas to solve this problem . Perhaps I need to conserve angular momentum of the particle about the pole . Is that so ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
Perhaps I need to conserve angular momentum of the particle about the pole .
That is one to consider. What conditions are needed for its a.m. about the pole to be conserved? Does the pole have some thickness? Does that matter?
What other conservation law might be applicable? Any reasons that might not be valid?

1. What is a particle moving around a pole?

A particle moving around a pole refers to the motion of a small object or particle that is rotating or orbiting around a fixed point or pole.

2. What is the physics behind a particle moving around a pole?

The physics behind a particle moving around a pole is governed by the principles of circular motion, which involve centripetal force, angular velocity, and tangential velocity.

3. How is the motion of a particle around a pole measured?

The motion of a particle around a pole can be measured by calculating its angular velocity, which is the rate at which the particle rotates around the pole, and its tangential velocity, which is the speed at which it moves along the circular path.

4. How does the mass of the particle affect its motion around a pole?

The mass of the particle affects its motion around a pole by influencing the strength of the centripetal force needed to keep the particle in its circular path. A larger mass requires a greater centripetal force, resulting in a higher angular and tangential velocity.

5. What are some real-life examples of a particle moving around a pole?

Some real-life examples of a particle moving around a pole include the Earth orbiting around the Sun, a satellite orbiting around the Earth, a carousel ride, and a spinning top.