What is the acceleration normal to PC in polar coordinates?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the conservation of angular momentum when a point is moving along a circle with a force directed towards point C. The participants also discuss the existence of both radial and tangential accelerations in this scenario and arrive at the conclusion that the answer is option B, 2cotθ. They also mention the possibility of this type of circular motion and its resemblance to planetary motion around the sun.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

circle.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the force is always directed towards C , angular momentum about C should be conserved . But that doesn't seem to help as we need the relation at any general angle .

How should I proceed ?

Attachments

• circle.jpg
    circle.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 970
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 214888

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the force is always directed towards C , angular momentum about C should be conserved . But that doesn't seem to help as we need the relation at any general angle .

How should I proceed ?
Point P moves along a circle centered at point O. Knowing that the force exerted on it points towards C, what are the radial and tangential accelerations in terms of theta?

Likes Jahnavi
ehild said:
Point P moves along a circle centered at point O. Knowing that the force exerted on it points towards C, what are the radial and tangential accelerations in terms of theta?
In question already mentioned that point is moving only under the force acting towards C then from where tangential acceleration comes.

Abhishek kumar said:
In question already mentioned that point is moving only under the force acting towards C then from where tangential acceleration comes.
If it were moving only under the force acting towards C, it wouldn't be moving in a circle as shown. It has both radial and tangential accelerations.

cnh1995 said:
If it were moving only under the force acting towards C, it wouldn't be moving in a circle as shown. It has both radial and tangential accelerations.
Read question

Abhishek kumar said:
Read question
I did. It's the 'net force' that acts towards C. It has both radial and tangential components such that the particle moves on a circle as shown.

cnh1995 said:
I did. It's the 'net force' that acts towards C. It has both radial and tangential components such that the particle moves on a circle as shown.
You can broke the component of F along x and y direction.point is moving in circle but force not directed towards centre and as point move distance between point c and point p changes.i think it moves under some kind of restoring force

Abhishek kumar said:
i think it moves under some kind of restoring force
Fortunately, we don't have to analyse the nature of force in the question. You can arrive at the answer with elementary trig and vector algebra.

Likes Abhishek kumar
ehild said:

Thanks !

Is this type of circular motion actually possible with the single force as shown in the picture ?

Is this some sort of planetary motion around the sun with perigee coinciding the focus ?

Jahnavi said:
Is this type of circular motion actually possible with the single force as shown in the picture ?
Yes, and the condition under which it is possible is what the question is asking for.

cnh1995 said:
Yes, and the condition under which it is possible is what the question is asking for.

I think it's the other way round :smile:

Jahnavi said:
I think it's the other way round :smile:
Possibly, but did you get the answer? If you did, I can stop posting here since it's beyond my expertise to discuss the nature of this force (and the planetary motion you mentioned):-p.

cnh1995 said:
Possibly, but did you get the answer?

I get option a) . Do you get the same ?

Jahnavi said:
I get option a) . Do you get the same ?
No.

Sorry . I am actually getting option b) .

@ehild , please reply to post#9 .

Jahnavi said:
Sorry . I am actually getting option b) .

@ehild , please reply to post#9 .
Unless I made some stupid mistake, it's d).
But I suppose now you know how to do it.

cnh1995 said:
Unless I made some stupid mistake, it's d).

Let me check my work .

Edit : I am still getting option b) .

Last edited:
Jahnavi said:
Let me check my work .

Edit : I am still getting option b) .
You calculated (d2θ/dt2)/ (dθ/dt)2 right? It comes out to be 2cotθ.

I think you calculated the reciprocal.

cnh1995 said:
You calculated (d2θ/dt2)/ (dθ/dt)2 right? It comes out to be 2cotθ.

I think you calculated the reciprocal.
I also get (B). Consider θ=0. Would it not make sense that ##\ddot\theta=0## but ##\dot\theta<0##?

Likes cnh1995
haruspex said:
I also get (B). Consider θ=0. Would it not make sense that ##\ddot\theta=0## but ##\dot\theta<0##?
You're right!
In my working, I had drawn the 2 radii perpendicular to each other in the diagram, so my θ was 45 degrees there. And using the alternate angles, I concluded that tanθ=Ft/Fr. Actually, tanθ=cotθ at θ=45°, so my assumption worked for θ=45° but it's actually cotθ=Ft/Fr.
Tricked by my own drawing!

My apologies!

Jahnavi said:
Thanks !

Yes.
Jahnavi said:
Is this some sort of planetary motion around the sun with perigee coinciding the focus ?
I don't think so. The force points to C, but its magnitude changes along the circle. It is zero at C and highest at the opposite point.
upload_2017-11-12_21-17-42.png

I also got B.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-12_21-17-42.png
    upload_2017-11-12_21-17-42.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 364
Likes Jahnavi
Abhishek kumar said:
See Post #21

ehild said:
but its magnitude changes along the circle. It is zero at C and highest at the opposite point.

Please explain how do we infer this from the question .

If we look in polar form then r and Θ both varies with respect to time.we can find expression for acceleration using r and Θ

Jahnavi said:
Yes. The necessary and sufficient condition that the motion is controlled by such a force is one of the equations needed to arrive at the desired equation.
Jahnavi said:
Is this some sort of planetary motion around the sun with perigee coinciding the focus
No. The trajectory would need to be an ellipse with the source of the force at one focus. Yes, a circle is a special case of an ellipse but its focus would be at the centre, not on the circumference.

Do you think If I write the two eq of motions then I should end up with a circular path ?

But since type of force is unknown how to do that ?

I am curious as to how this force makes the particle move in a circle .

Jahnavi said:
Do you think If I write the two eq of motions then I should end up with a circular path ?

But since type of force is unknown how to do that ?

I am curious as to how this force makes the particle move in a circle .
You do not know the magnitude of the force towards the origin, but you do know the magnitude in another direction.

haruspex said:
but you do know the magnitude in another direction.

Which direction ?

Jahnavi said:
Which direction ?
I'd like you to think that through for yourself. It's not hard.

In a direction perpendicular to the line joining C and the particle P at any instant ?

How does that help ?

Jahnavi said:
In a direction perpendicular to the line joining C and the particle P at any instant ?
Yes. So what equation can you write?

Jahnavi said:
Please explain how do we infer this from the question .
It was a guess, you do not know the magnitude of the force. But you can see that the radial component is zero, and the tangential part changes sign at C.
You can imagine a force, proportional to the distance between points C and P.

haruspex said:
Yes. So what equation can you write?

Sorry . I don't know . Can you tell what needs to be done .

Jahnavi said:
Sorry . I don't know . Can you tell what needs to be done .
I used polar coordinates with origin at C.
In those coordinates, what is the general expression for the acceleration normal to PC?

1. What is the definition of acceleration normal to PC in polar coordinates?

The acceleration normal to PC in polar coordinates is the rate of change of the polar velocity vector with respect to time. In simpler terms, it is the measure of how quickly the direction of an object's velocity is changing as it moves along a polar coordinate system.

2. How is acceleration normal to PC calculated in polar coordinates?

To calculate acceleration normal to PC in polar coordinates, you can use the formula aN = (v^2)/r, where aN is the acceleration normal to PC, v is the magnitude of the polar velocity vector, and r is the radius of the polar coordinate system.

3. What is the difference between acceleration normal to PC and tangential acceleration in polar coordinates?

Acceleration normal to PC and tangential acceleration are two components of the total acceleration of an object in polar coordinates. While acceleration normal to PC measures the change in direction of an object's velocity, tangential acceleration measures the change in magnitude of its velocity. Together, these two components make up the total acceleration of an object in polar coordinates.

4. How does acceleration normal to PC affect an object's motion in polar coordinates?

Acceleration normal to PC can affect an object's motion in polar coordinates by changing the direction of its velocity. This can cause the object to move in a curved path instead of a straight line, as the direction of its velocity is constantly changing due to the acceleration normal to PC.

5. Are there any real-world applications of acceleration normal to PC in polar coordinates?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of acceleration normal to PC in polar coordinates. For example, it is used in the study of celestial mechanics to understand the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in polar coordinate systems. It is also used in the design and analysis of curved tracks in roller coasters and other amusement park rides.